Strange pooh in my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EvilTwin

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
When I first set up my saltwater tank last year and put in my LR to cycle with I started finding these little "tubes" of fecal matter collecting in the tank. Every day I would look in the tank and find a new tube. They were all accumulating in the same spot in the tank. Here are pics:
img_588573_0_e86638005ff164b3fe50b183aa2f7316.jpg

img_588573_1_a20a5a0c1f556ad7b66651eabde0d345.jpg

img_588573_2_ce3410b6e0b648e35f5fe0ba96249d46.jpg

The tubes are very fragile and would disintegrate easily if disturbed. Once I put fish and cleanup crew in the tank, the tubes stopped appearing. This weekend I moved everything in my tank to a new 75g tank and this morning I found one of these tubes again. I haven't seen one in months and suddenly there it was, bigger than before. I suspected some hitchiker from the LR but never saw anything.

Anyone have any ideas what this is???

when do you find them? in the morning or randomly during the day? Do they appear to be made out of the matierial around on the sand bed or in the rocks? Are they hollow? I suspect its some type of worm or perhaps some sort of sea cucumber. Do you have one?

They always showed up each morning. They were always in the same area each morning. Each day I would fine a new one. They will practically disintigrate if you try to move or remove them. They seem to be just a solid strand of fecal matter. I have always suspected some type of worm in the tank that came in on my rock but have never seen one. No cuke.

Back
Top Bottom