Stress coat solution

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nataliedd

Aquarium Advice Activist
Quick question I'm adding some stress coat solution, but it doesn't advise me where to add it too. Do you just pour the capfuls into the top of the tank??? Maybe a stupid question but wasn't sure if I should do that or add it underneath tank to the sump/filter box thingy!

Sent from my SM-G800F using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Right in the tank

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Cheers and take its the same for adding the tetra safe?

I sound stupid but my hubby's more clued up on the filter tank / water testing etc. That's his job, my job is the research/info on the fish. So together we should be fool safe enough!

I sound stupid but my hubby's more clued up on the filter tank / water testing etc. That's his job, my job is the research/info on the fish. So together we should be fool safe enough!

Doesn't sound stupid that you're asking ahead of time. Everything always goes into the tank unless otherwise stated on the bottle/package. Most that use the API stress coat use the stress zyme in conjunction with each other.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium advice.

Doesn't sound stupid that you're asking ahead of time. Everything always goes into the tank unless otherwise stated on the bottle/package. Most that use the API stress coat use the stress zyme in conjunction with each other.

I agree, better safe than sorry, especially in this game. Certain products could leave you wishing you asked first!! .... well.. can't think of any offhand but I'm sure they're out there;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

What's the stress zyme stuff? Benefits of using both do you think?

What's the stress zyme stuff? Benefits of using both do you think?

Here's links to both products. The stress coat is a water conditioner and the stress zyme is live bacteria. I do use both of these products in my FW tanks every WC that happens. 55g gets 3 capfuls each and the 10g gets 1/2 capful of each. I've never lost a fish from using these products, but I've never used a different product so I can't comment on others. It's just Murphy's Law for me in that regard. Like any product, there may be little catch phrases or words like "specially formulated" or "like no other" but IMO that's just what manufacturers do to sell stuff. Are they designed to only work together ? I couldn't tell ya, lol. Maybe you can figure that one out and let me know. All I can say is my fish are quite happy. So happy they let me pet them.

http://www.apifishcare.com/product.php?id=652#.VEmA3dm9LCQ

http://www.apifishcare.com/product.php?id=653#.VEmBdNm9LCQ

One of them (coat, I think) refers to using when netting fish but I don't use nets. I can physically handle them since I spend that much time around them.

What a great way to divide up the fishkeeping duties!

I haven't heard of many who use Stress Coat and Stress Zyme together. I don't ... Because I already cycled my tank I don't see any reason to add bacteria to it. I have plenty of beneficial bacteria already. I have stress zyme but only used it a few times before I understood the nitrogen cycle. It made my tank smelly.

Stress coat is a dechlorinator that also claims to help the slime coat on the fish. You need a dechlorinator for water changes, if your water is chlorinated. The benefit of things that help slime coat is debatable but I think this one, since it uses aloe and not an artificial polymer, either won't hurt or will help in other ways.

Isn't tetra safe another dechlorinator? There's no reason to add two of those. If it makes reference to being able to add fish to your aquarium right away it's probably another bottled bacteria which again, in my opinion, isn't useful in a cycled tank and might not help in new tanks either.

Dechlorinators ... If you add water by bucket, you mix it into the bucket and just add enough for the bucket. If you use a python that hooks to the sink and you add new water straight to the tank, put the dechlorinator in the tank and put in an amount to treat the whole tank.

I have about 10 bottles of stuff to treat my tank water, from when I was starting out ... Turns out I only need 3. Lol. And if I didn't have incredibly soft water I'd only need one (the dechlorinator).

If you're not doing a water change there's no need to add anything.

You'll find varying opinions, those are just mine. I've been keeping fish for a year and a half, but only doing it well for about 8 months :) learned a lot along the way.

Hope that helps!

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Ok so I'm a bit confused......If your tank is cycled (over 6 weeks running??) Then do you not need to add bacteria balls? What's the norm? Do most people add bacteria, water conditioner etc at every water change? My tank has been running 6 weeks cos we were doing a slow fish in cycle we've added this stuff when changing water twice a week. We'll drop down to w/c once a week now it's running for awhile. Our tanks 340litres so it is expensive to add this every change. Il do what's best for the fish but if It's not the norm I'd Def save some money!

Oh and is water change once a week ok? Maybe a bit longer cos it's a big tank.

Ok so I'm a bit confused......If your tank is cycled (over 6 weeks running??) Then do you not need to add bacteria balls? What's the norm? Do most people add bacteria, water conditioner etc at every water change? My tank has been running 6 weeks cos we were doing a slow fish in cycle we've added this stuff when changing water twice a week. We'll drop down to w/c once a week now it's running for awhile. Our tanks 340litres so it is expensive to add this every change. Il do what's best for the fish but if It's not the norm I'd Def save some money!

I'm not sure what bacteria balls are. Do you mean bio balls? Meant to be in a filter for bacteria to live on?

You're asking great questions and way to go for trying so hard to care for your fish ... Sorry sometimes the answers create more confusion!

I'm fairly new too but I started trying to master these basics about a year ago, and in February finally enough clicked that I've kept healthy fish in several aquariums since. I've also cycled about 6 aquariums, from 1 to 30 gallons.

So here's how I'd sum it up ...

So the main idea right now is that you've got two pets: fish, and bacteria.

The fish live in the water. The bacteria live on surfaces. The surfaces you really want them to live on are ones in your filter, since it gets exposed so well to all the water.

The part you surely understand is that there's ammonia in the water, and the first bacteria eat that and make nitrites. The second bacteria eat nitrites and make nitrates. But again, bacteria aren't really in the water.

So your filter holds things that remove chunks of stuff from the water, and things that house the bacteria so they grab ammonia and nitrite from the water.

The bacteria houses are usually called biomedia. Bio balls are one type. There are also ceramic things, and bacteria can live on sponges and filter floss and charcoal.

You want bacteria to move into all these houses and have babies.

So if you wish, you may use bio balls as bacteria houses. In my first tank they were just on filter floss and a biowheel. Now I have ceramic media. Lots of things work.

Of course, if you add them, and the bacteria move in, you don't want to pull the houses out. Or to kill the bacteria in them. That's why we handle our filter media carefully and don't replace it as often as the packaging says.

Some people don't want to wait for the bacteria to populate under their own speed, so they get bacteria from someone else's tank or from bottles. The former is very reliable though has its risks. The bottled bacteria has very mixed reputations and there are few true facts about whether the bacteria are really alive, whether they stay alive in the tank, and if they're the correct strains.

So add bio balls or something once, and don't change them. Add bottled bacteria like Cycle or quick start or stress zyme if you wish, when you do water changes until the tank is cycled, or just wait for nature to take its course.

Unless you are certain your water doesn't need dechlorinator, use it at every water change forever. Chlorine hurts fish and kills your bacteria.

Oh and you said cycled / 6 weeks running ... I've got a sick kid asleep on me so I can't get this thing scrolled back ... Forgive me if you already know this. Much of what I post for one person is also for the larger audience who might start saying "hey I saw somewhere that if it runs for 6 weeks it's cycled" ...

6 weeks running might not be cycled.

I think the usual definition of cycled means that you're seeing zero ammonia and nitrite, which means your bacteria colony is fully formed.

If you know you are cycled your maintenance may be something like ... (And you'll get very different opinions on this too) ...

Weekly testing and 50% water changes. More if nitrites keep getting higher each week. At the water change, use dechlorinator. Nothing else is necessary unless you've got something freaky with your tap water or some intermediate situation going on.

Gravel vac ... Frequency on this varies a lot tank to tank. Some say vac one section weekly.

Far less often, take a bucket of water you just pulled out of the tank, and take some of the media from your filter, shake it lightly in the water, and put it back. Just the stuff that collects particulates. Stuff that doesn't, that just houses bacteria, just make sure it doesn't dry out or experience any other sudden change.

When some of the filter media starts to fall apart, like filter floss, replace it. Don't replace more than 1/3 of the stuff in your filter at a time. Maybe even less.

That isn't necessarily what I do, it's a collection of the common suggestions I've seen. I do smaller water changes, and I've never replaced filter media except water polishing pads. I haven't been running one filter long enough to advise well on filter maintenance.

Trennamw thank you so much for your lengthy help. Your right it is confusing but think I kinda understand! Yes I meant bio balls. So even though it's recommended to add new bio balls, it's better for fish to stick with the original balls for a long time? I feel like a dummy but really trying to understand and look after fish. Just lost my first fish tonight ( as youll prob notice from my new thread!)and have tried to do everything advised so don't know where I've went wrong :-(

So sorry you lost a fish!!

The people who sell the filter media do recommend changing it often. Even the ones who now acknowledge the bacteria thing, often say "replace 1/3 of your media every month".

But I'm pretty sure bio media like bio balls almost never really needs to be replaced. There's a good thread going on canister filters that may have more on that.

Ok another thick question but how do I read suggested threads like the one on canister filters? I typed in search at the top and hasn't brought anything up.

The threads here don't move very fast ... Just look in the various things posted in Getting Started and General Discussion. There are often several at a time on any one topic. And you'll find subjects you didn't know to ask about.

Back
Top Bottom