Stringy cotton-like poop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kimlafeiet

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have 4 boesmani rainbows who have pretty much given me nothing but heartburn since I got them. :eek:
I have a previous post that can bring you up to speed if needed http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f17/possible-columnaris-help-252702-4.html
Tonight, all 4 of them have got some seriously freaky poop going on. Very long, white, stringy. It literally looks like they swallowed cotton balls and are pooping out cottony strings.
They were fed nls pellets and a cucumber slice to nibble on yesterday, today they were not fed (I only feed eod)
Pics to come momentarily, should I be concerned? :confused:

Here are a couple pics

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130417_213357.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130417_213357.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 143
  • ForumRunner_20130417_213424.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130417_213424.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 165
I don't know if this will help you . I had the same problem instead of medicating my tank since its not fully cycled I bought garlic guard and mixed it with brine shrimp and fed it to them everyday for a little over 2 weeks it worked poop is colored now and they love it . It's good for the immune system and ick. I still give it every other feeding I haven't used it for ick but it the garlic that works good luck hope this helps.

yup, internal parasites. dose it with parasite guard by tetra , take out carbon filter, and turn off any uv lights. I would probably dose them for two cycles just to be safe. rainbows are especially susceptible to internal parasites, but the medication works well and it looks like you caught it soon enough.

Thanks everyone. These dang rainbows are going to give me gray hair, seriously! They have been nothing but trouble since day one, lol.
I will pick up some internal parasite meds, it is probably the only thing I have NOT treated them for yet. Oiy veh.
Can I add the meds to my tank or will it kill my bb (or stain my new tank), or should I put them in QT again? Also, I have a couple other fish in the big tank with them, no symptoms of anything.........treat them too?
And........last but not least, are there any decent options out there for internal parasites that can be added to thier food rather than directly in a tank?

Hello I was looking through here and came upon your question, i have a question out right now about my old common goldfish that has the same kinda poo, only he has had it so bad that it sometimes looked like tiny string, He would and still working on him, sit at top of tank and sometimes list over on side, It was very scary, did you have any of these problems, i have been working with him for a month, starting to look a bit better since i have been giving him ocean nutrition green algae, and some of his original food flakes, wardley, i started giving him good pellets and wonder if this might be what happened to make him so bad, but with the green algae and frozen brine shrimp(every other day) along with the wardley he used to eat, seems to be going (pooing) more now but still looks stressed at top of tank, not as bad, knock on wood but hopeful!!

so i have heard of meds you can feed your fish to kill the parasites but i have never used them, so i dont know how well they work.

the parasite clear meds are colorless so they won't stain. they work really well and are really easy to use so I would probably just dose the whole tank. just dissolve the tablets in water before adding them to the tank. I am sorry these rainbows are giving you so much trouble bit they are truly wonderful fish and it will all be worth it in the end! they are more fragile in terms of sudden changes and I went through a similar process when I first got mine. but they are great!

as to the goldfish I would treat him too. the good diet is definitely helping him but it is just masking the problem. treat him before it gets worse!

Hello to last reply about rainbows, I dont know what i am doing on here, Dont know how to post, so whatever i sent you is something i think to do with someone that had these fish that got a reply i read from you or someone else about using nls with garlic and brine shrimp and the fish got regular poos again, I am having trouble with a common goldfish that keeps eating bubbles, gets gassy, then lets it out of vent, before doing this he floats at top horizontally alot of the day then does this with his vent, and even some come out of mouth(Bubbles) his poos are long and stringy with alot of clear in them, the brine shrimp is helping him go, the peas didnt, i wondered if this will clear him up or should i medicate, one suggested he dont think i would have a parasite problem as in 12 yrs i have never introduced a new fish or live food, no plants etc.

Back
Top Bottom