Stringy Poops! Oh noes!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sssea

Aquarium Advice Freak
My goldies seem to be having some excrement issues as of recently. Sometimes stringy, sometimes with bubbles, sometimes normal. I feed Hikari Oranda Gold pellets once a day (usually 6-7 pellets per fish, is this enough/too much?) and peas once or twice a week. I recently found out that my mom feeds them like 40+ pellets when I'm out of town, as I live here part time. Whoopsie daisy on her part.

Would the overfeeding be the cause of their digestive problems? I know stringy white poo is a sign of parasites, but theirs isn't white and they show no other symptoms. Should I begin feeding an anti parasite food? Overfeeding will no longer be an issue as I am moving and taking these little guys with me.

Thanks, my friends!

I would start with fasting the fish for a few days with clean water prior to any medication being used, it sounds like just a overfeeding issue initially.

Ok! I have them fasting until sunday, which will be 2-3 days. Should I feed them peas on Sunday to help clean them out? After the fast, should their poo be normal? I assume if it's still stringy, then I should start with anti parasite food like jungle clear?

After fasting, cutting back on overfeeding, and the use of pea's if there is still a issue with stringhy white fecies is when I would start treating with medication. The food is great way to medicate as long as they are eating.

One more question cause you're so helpful :) Would the bubbles in their poo be any indicator of anything? They're not really gasping, but they like to play up at the surface. I have a lot of agitation for gas exchange, so I doubt it's a lack of oxygen.

Back
Top Bottom