Stubborn Fin Melt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's just after 4am here and I just woke up to the sound of a high pitched, but kind of quiet, whistle, only to discover that it was coming from Calvin and Quincy's heater. I don't even want to think of what might have happened if I hadn't been home tonight, or even if I hadn't woken up at this time.

I'll try my best, but I don't know if I will be able to make it to the pet store tomorrow (I guess it's today actually). At least now I don't have to manually lower the temperature for them right? :banghead:

It's just after 4am here and I just woke up to the sound of a high pitched, but kind of quiet, whistle, only to discover that it was coming from Calvin and Quincy's heater. I don't even want to think of what might have happened if I hadn't been home tonight, or even if I hadn't woken up at this time.

I'll try my best, but I don't know if I will be able to make it to the pet store tomorrow (I guess it's today actually). At least now I don't have to manually lower the temperature for them right? :banghead:

Bad luck!

Yeah (kind of), just whenever you can get a heater.

Just cleaned my sisters tank (it had mold growing on algae that gave up growing I think) and it was all good but hob died next day...

I think I'm going to get a cheap Tetra heater for now and replace it with something better later on.

If you ever have to buy a heater, avoid Aqueon like the Plague. Even the Aqueon Pro that is supposedly a really great heater ended up almost killing my fish. Aqueon has given me nothing but trouble. Still, 2 of my heaters are Aqueon so they need replaced as soon as possible as well. I like the Fluval heaters, and Tetra heaters are pretty reliable, but not adjustable.

Ouch, nasty. I think I have been lucky with the API ones. They are cheap and adjustable but I find really difficult to get the right temp. Some adjustments do nothing and other adjustments move temp several degrees C!

Was it mainly the noise you noticed when it went?

Yeah, it would whistle whenever it had to turn on to heat the water, which is pretty frequently.

I just replaced it with a 100w tetra heater and the heating light isn't staying on even though the temperature in the tank is only 75...

Yeah, it would whistle whenever it had to turn on to heat the water, which is pretty frequently.

I just replaced it with a 100w tetra heater and the heating light isn't staying on even though the temperature in the tank is only 75...

That suckth.

Maybe they got confused and put in elements for kettles?!

I think I'm going to get a cheap Tetra heater for now and replace it with something better later on.

If you ever have to buy a heater, avoid Aqueon like the Plague. Even the Aqueon Pro that is supposedly a really great heater ended up almost killing my fish. Aqueon has given me nothing but trouble. Still, 2 of my heaters are Aqueon so they need replaced as soon as possible as well. I like the Fluval heaters, and Tetra heaters are pretty reliable, but not adjustable.

Both of our heaters are Aquenon pro. We read tons of reviews on Amazon and they had the best reviews out of other brands.

What happened? :(
And which heater brand whistled?? Weird ugh!

It was the Aqueon brand glass heater. My Aqueon pro worked fine for the first few weeks, but then it just stopped heating the tank, the temperature dropped pretty low, and then when I tried to adjust the heater, the settings were completely off. I had to turn the heater all the way DOWN to get the heating light to come on. It was very strange, and then it overheated my tank a few days later.

The tetra heater seems to be working now. I moved it closer to the filter so there is more water moving around it.

Weird.

The pros are known for not being spot on with the number you put the knob on. You go by the temperature that your thermometer is reading. Once it's set and you've kept an eye on it for a bit you should be good to go. They have a lifetime warranty. Ours has been flawless. We've had it almost 4 months. Sounds like yours is a dud. You should contact Aquenon. I've heard their customer service is good.

Did your fish get hurt from this? :(

And that's good about the tetra.

I knew the settings were off, my fluval heater isn't spot on either, but it works just fine when I set it based on my thermometer.

I checked in the back of the information that comes with the heater, and for some reason, I decided not to call. I can't exactly remember why though. Luckily, it didn't kill any of my fish and I was able to replace it within a day or so.

Oh ok :). Yep setting it by going by the thermometer is the way to go :)

I'm glad it didn't kill any fish!

You may at least be able to get a refund or replacement. You should look into it.

So far there has been no improvement for Calvin or Quincy, and I will be doing the last water change tomorrow to remove the meds. I don't think Quincy's fins have gotten any worse, but I noticed some tears on Calvin's fins that I don't remember. They could have been there before though.

If this doesn't work, I really don't know what I'm going to do next. :(

I'm so sorry :(

My betta is doing poorly as well. I am pretty sure he has dropsy. And he has a few more fin holes as well :'( Petstores didnt' have the medicines I found online that may work. :(

I may sound paranoid, but I think there has been something going around with the bettas at the pet stores. On my other forum, I see a lot of people having problems with fin rot that seem very similar to what I'm experiencing, and it's not like all of these people aren't taking care of their bettas.

Is it possible that it could be from your plants? I'm a beginner fish keeper so I'd ask a pro fish person before taking any action if it would be possible for a plant to cause a problem. But I haven't seen anyone suggest plants causing health problems in fish, is it possible a plant could be the culprit?!?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Oh gosh I hope there's nothing going around. It could be coming from wherever they were bred too if that is the case.

The only time I have ever heard of a plant harming a betta is when it is too sharp and cuts or snags the bettas delicate fins. Though at this point, I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out to be something as unexpected as that.

Oh gosh I hope there's nothing going around. It could be coming from wherever they were bred too if that is the case.

That's what I meant, I think it may start with the breeders and then those fish are shipped to different pet stores. I'm sure the breeders also exchange fish with each other so it would spread even more. So it doesn't happen to everyone, but it seems to be happening more often. A year ago, fin rot seemed to be something that was really easy to treat. All you needed to do was keep the tank clean and maybe add a little aquarium salt. I haven't seen that particular treatment actually work for anybody I've talked to in a while.

It's a scary, and maybe crazy thought, but I don't know how else to explain it. My bettas were kept in cycled, filtered, and heated tanks from the start. They shouldn't be losing their fins.

Oh yeah, I misunderstood. Makes sense :(.

Yeah. This stinks. My boy is bad off today. If he must go, I hope it doesn't take long. I don't want him to suffer. This dropsy or whatever it really is is horrible.

I couldn't find anything at the petstore. I have pimafix. I may put some of that in the tank. It says it's for fungal as well as internal bacterial and external bacterial issues.
I think it's betta safe but not positive.

I'm sorry your guys aren't getting better. We're both going through a hard time with our fish. :(

We had some ammonia issues but they weren't ::too:: bad and were quickly fixed and kept up with water changes after that. Or he could have been already sick and fighting it, and over the last 48ish hours, it's manifested :(

We had heaters from the start. However until we got the Aquenon pro, we had weak heaters and it basically maintained a temp of 72-73 which was room temp. Not horrible but not good.

Back
Top Bottom