Stubborn Fin Melt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Usually any "fix" medications are bad for bettas because the oils they contain can coat the betta's labyrinth organ and make it hard for them to breath. I have heard that this isn't true though. Some people have success with those medications, others have claimed that it killed their bettas. If you decide to use it, make sure you have good aeration in your tank and watch your betta so you can do a water change if he seems to have trouble breathing.

Do you have any pictures of him?

I put a picture in my dropsy topic in this subcategory.

I know melafix is bad. Pima :/

I can't stand the thought of not trying to help him but. I don't want to make it worse either. It's been almost 3 days now. First noticed issues Friday evening.

I don't think he's gonna make it. Still won't eat. Didn't even try. He did try yesterday but wasn't successful.

:(. I'm very attached to this little guy. As much as I was to a hamster or a cat or dog.

I'm very attached to my boys too, specially Reagan, who has been spending a lot of time floating on his side at the surface for the past week. He used to sit on the bottom, but since he started floating, I fed him peas and then fasted him, thinking it was a swim bladder problem, but he's still doing it. He is still eating and getting up to swim around though. Apart from his fin melt, he seems perfectly healthy, so I'm not sure why he's doing this :(

I hope your guy is able to pull through.

I hope he pulls through too. I hope they all do.

I want to try pimafix. Might be better than doing nothing. Read some reviews on PetCo website, people used it on their Bettas and it helped. Not for dropsy but.

I have to go to work in 10 mins.

I just looked at your thread. Poor guy :(

Have you considered trying aquarium salt? A few months ago, I though Reagan was going to die. He was laying on his side on the bottom, breathing heavily, was very pale, and not able to swim much. I put him in a floating breeding trap to keep him close to the surface where he could breath, changed his water every day, and treated him with aquarium salt. After the first dose of aquarium salt, he perked up a bit and got some color back. Within a few days of this treatment, he was up and swimming around and I was able to let him back in the tank.

I don't know if it would actually help, since dropsy is pretty fatal, but I know it can help restore electrolytes which may help him feel a bit better.

I used it for fin rot. Twice. You honestly think it could help?

I read mixed things about salt and dropsy. Some say it helps others say makes him retain more fluid. So I don't know what to do. I wish I had the day off work today.

Thank you. I really appreciate that.

I don't think it would help cure the dropsy, but in my experience, it helped my betta perk up and regain his strength. But of course, there is not guarantee it would even do that for your betta since he has already been pretty ill for a few days.

Yeah :( I couldn't do nothing for him today, so I did add Pimafix. Regular dosage.

I'm praying for him.

I don't think it would help cure the dropsy, but in my experience, it helped my betta perk up and regain his strength. But of course, there is not guarantee it would even do that for your betta since he has already been pretty ill for a few days.

Do you still have any of the triple sulpha left? If nothing improving I would add that in as well. Was there no improvement in over the week?

Yeah :( I couldn't do nothing for him today, so I did add Pimafix. Regular dosage.

I'm praying for him.

I've yet to be convinced that pima and mela are dangerous for labyrinth fish. From memory the product was tested on gouramis in the patent file (although not bettas) with no issues. I've seen replies from API that seem genuine that it can be used and not picking words.

However I find it needs to be well mixed and it's killed otherwise healthy fish I had.

It's worth a try imo for low level infections or where nothing else is working. It seems hit and miss on tough infections. I wouldn't bank on it working but it can do the trick.

@Delapool
I used the Pimafix. I am too scared to use Melafix. I do have Bettafix but I don't know if that would do any good at this point. I really want to save my little guy. Apparently maracyn2 is not made anymore. That is one thing I read that can help. I also read furan-2 can help but my lfs didn't have that either. I am going to call PetCo in the am and see if I have any luck there....

I've read SO MUCH conflicting information on treatments and salt for this and everything. I hate it! If I could find something online that has a good chance of working I would rush order it. We raised the temp some in the tank too, as I read that can help. It doesn't want to go above 82, though.

Found this link on another forum.
https://shopping.nwseed.com/products/mardel-maracyn-two-powder-packets--freshwater--8ct-7097.html
DISCONTINUED. :(

The first seems somewhat encouraging. The posts by people w their fish are mostly melafix or betta fix, not Pima.

He is acting more lively today, swimming around a bit more. Still won't eat but. Im encouraged.

It was mentioned To me that tetra fungus cure may help as it can help bacterial issues as well. He's only had one pimafix dose so far, I'm not sure if using another medicine after that one dose would be ok. I still have hope.

The first seems somewhat encouraging. The posts by people w their fish are mostly melafix or betta fix, not Pima.

He is acting more lively today, swimming around a bit more. Still won't eat but. Im encouraged.

It was mentioned To me that tetra fungus cure may help as it can help bacterial issues as well. He's only had one pimafix dose so far, I'm not sure if using another medicine after that one dose would be ok. I still have hope.

I've done that where I've tried pima/mela with no luck, pwc and onto something else. It's hard to say how it will go. Generally thinking back it has gone ok for me as long as I don't overdose anything.

Having said that I somehow lost a cardinal tetra last night. The molly and bn catfish fry in there are all fine, other tetras look fine - bit bemused.

Hope your fish recovers!

Following. Good luck!

I forgot too that I think API have improved melafix and pimafix over time so it mixes with water better. It was just a post I saw in passing so not sure how accurate that is.

Following. Good luck!

I forgot too that I think API have improved melafix and pimafix over time so it mixes with water better. It was just a post I saw in passing so not sure how accurate that is.

Thank you :)

That is good information to have :) It seems to mix well. It helped our little catfish, I see no more wilty fins... they got melafix and pimafix for 7 days, at half dosage.

The Kanaplex/Furan 2 treatment has done absolutely nothing. Calvin looks pretty much the same, but Quincy has gotten worse. The last "spike" on his dorsal fin looks like it's ready to come off. I don't know what else to do for them. I would hate to watch them go downhill like Reagan has, specially considering how young Quincy is. Calvin is a bit older, though not quite as old as Reagan.

I was reading about using hydrogen peroxide on the forum that I usually use. What do you think? I'm not sure if it would work, or if it's safe for bettas, so I will be doing some reading and asking more about it.

http://www.myaquariumclub.com/hydrogen-peroxide-a-place-in-the-aquarium-7282.html

http://www.myaquariumclub.com/hydrogen-peroxide-a-place-in-the-aquarium-part-ii-7295.html

I'm sorry to hear that they are not improving. My fish's dorsal fin is full of holes, he's pale, his bottom hanging fins are shorter and split in half, and yeah. I fear the end is near but I am still hopeful.

I would be EXTREMELY cautious about using hydrogen peroxide, it sounds like a very bad idea to me.... let's see if someone else chimes in though.

He said, to treat bettas, you would apply it directly to their fins, keep them out of the water for 30 seconds while keeping their gills wet, and then placing them back in the tank.

I have done something similar with methylene blue but they weren't out of the tank that long so that makes me nervous. If anything, the stress might push Reagan over the edge considering his age and his current condition. The younger ones might handle it better but still...

Back
Top Bottom