Stubborn Fin Rot - Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BettaAspen

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone! This is my first post here and I just registered today, because I desperately need help with my Betta fish. He is a double-tail halfmoon Betta and is having some trouble overcoming fin rot.

The problem started around a month ago and I've tried multiple solutions. I first tried aquarium salt, which worked for a little while but then stopped working after I ended the treatment. I tried the salt again in a slightly higher dosage and it didn't work at all, so I installed an air pump and an air stone in my tank to start medication. I've already done two doses of Maracyn Two, which I thought would work like a charm, but I don't think it's helped at all. Lately I noticed that the heater in my tank was fluctuating and just replaced it yesterday, which obviously was causing increased stress on my fish, which could have been why he wasn't getting better.

My tank is a 5.5 gallon tank with less than 5ppm of nitrates and no nitrites/chlorine. I tested for ammonia about a week ago and the levels were close to nothing. The temperature is stable at around 80 degrees F right now. The pH is also slightly basic but around the normal range. The tank has been set up for about two months now, and I have two live plants to help with the cycling process.

The last time I did a water change was about a week ago after I finished the first treatment of Maracyn Two, and I'm doing another one today after the end of this treatment. My fish's diet has been mostly the same, but I've introduced frozen brine shrimp along with the normal pellets he eats and he seems to be loving it.

Please help me! I'm not sure if the problem is that he was stressed out about the temperature or something to do with the water quality. I haven't tested for ammonia in about a week so I can do that again if need be. I also don't know if the problem is fungal or bacterial, which may be why he's not getting better. I will attach a picture here if I can, I really want him to get better because he's my best friend :(

Here is the image link if it doesn't work below: https://imgur.com/a/qDjP9Yl

qDjP9Yl

Hey there! Sorry to hear you've been having problems with your betta fish. Do you have any kind of bio or mechanical filtration set up? generally fin rot is only caused by poor water quality. Also in my experience fin rot is more common when your ph is above 7.5

Hi! Thank you so much for your response! I do have chemical filtration set up, with a run-of-the-mill charcoal filter. I also have an air stone in the tank, which helps to add some more oxygen. I'm not too knowledgeable in other kinds of filtration, but I may experiment a bit in the future with it!

About the pH - I don't believe it's above 7.5, as I tested it last night and it read somewhere between 6-7. I use testing strips normally, which I know aren't the best for super accurate testing, but it gave me an idea of what my pH is. As for my tank's cleanliness, I don't believe it is super dirty, and I do a water change around once a week to ensure that it's the cleanest it can be. Recently, there's been some odd particles on the top of the tank, but I think it may be a side effect of the medication I've put my fish on.

I have done some outside research since my original post and have started the tank on Kanaplex, which seems to be doing some good. The top of my fish's fins seem to be improving, knock on wood, but this is one nasty disease! I may have to do two doses of the Kanaplex if things don't start improving all around, and honestly I am quite nervous about it. I originally tried Maracyn Two and now the Kanaplex seems to be doing some good, but not a lot. I'm really not sure what I'm doing wrong in this instance. If you have any other ideas, let me know, I really appreciate the response :)

Oh, also - I did take the charcoal out to start the medicine! I know carbon filtration can absorb the medication, so I made sure to take it out before starting him on the Kanaplex. Sorry I forgot to mention that in the original reply!

You sound like a very responsible betta owner, a lot of people don't think filtration is even necessary!
As long as there is some sort of media in the filter that beneficial bacteria can grow on then the filtration sounds fine.
Once fin rot takes hold it is somewhat more difficult to get rid of, prevention is much easier.
I'd say for the next bit of time try to change at least 30% of the water twice a week, really getting pristine water is going to be your friend in this fight.

Thank you so much! I will continue with the medication and do more regular water changes, like you suggested. However, I am unable to do water changes with the ongoing treatment - do you recommend your idea for after I finish the medication?

And yes, the filter does have media where beneficial bacteria can grow. I have made sure to cycle my tank and keep the bacteria as much as possible with the medication I'm using right now (Kanaplex).

Once again, thank you for your suggestions! I am overjoyed that you have taken the time to help me, and it really means a lot.

If your medication is working well then just keep it clean once the round of meds is up.

I would recommend if you have enough medication to do one good clean where you replace at least half the water and siphon up any crud. The fresh water can be pre-dosed to the concentration already in the tank to avoid any medication issues.

Hope I helped a bit, and best of luck! It sounds like youve got a good grasp on this :)

That sounds like a fantastic idea. I think I will do a deep-clean this weekend and finish my current dose of medication and use your idea. I think my main priorities are just keeping the tank as clean as possible and keeping my fish under as little stress as possible, too. I realized that the treatment before had been combined with a broken heater, which I have since replaced, so I'm hoping my little guy can be under a lot less stress now! I now keep the tank steady at 79 degrees and he seems very happy.

Thank you again for your help, I'm feeling a lot more confident!

Update: I siphoned the water and did a fairly large water change yesterday. I continued with the Kanaplex and I'm seeing NO results. I really don't know what to do. I've already tried aquarium salt, doing water changes, and two different medications, and I'm at a loss. I really want my little guy to be okay and I'm honestly just so stressed out right now. The fin rot has progressed to the point where it's getting bad, and I don't want him to die.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? If I were to buy more medication I would most likely have to do it pretty secretly, as my family is confused why I'm so passionate about helping my fish (they say it's just a fish and it doesn't matter). Is there anything else I can do with the Kanaplex or Maracyn Two? He seems stressed with the medication and I'm almost thinking of removing it by putting the carbon back into my filter media and doing really regular water changes.

I really need help if anyone can help me. The water parameters are still fine, the nitrates are at around 5ppm and the nitrites/chlorine are at 0. I haven't tested for ammonia in about a week but I just did a large water change and siphon yesterday, so I think it would be okay now. please help :(

Should I continue with the Kanaplex for now? I'm on the fourth dose - usually one treatment is three doses. He seems stressed with the medication so I'm almost thinking of putting the carbon back in the filter and waiting a few days before doing another dose, but I'm not even sure if the Kanaplex is doing anything.

A couple things

When the fish sits in the bottom of the tank sometimes they get in a low flow corner where the muck collects. If you rinse the substrate, make sure to use the dechlorinator for the gentle rinse just to get the muck out.

A Betta Log (check the inside and feel for any sharp edges, you can file them off if so) and / a couple stems of hardy in your area stem plant. This gives him something to rest in, and not be on the substrate.

This a thread of a fish I had, starting about at post #20 it discusses using the Kanaplex.

So I would complete the treatment.

You should try changing the water daily to get this under control. And you can read up through the thread about other ideas when you have time.
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f23/importing-a-thai-betta-the-experience-367697.html

This will help with a foundation of fish keeping you can check back on in the future if needed. It helps understand the nitrification cycle and related info, as well which can take a few times reading to get, ;)
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide-to-starting-a-freshwater-aquarium/

A couple of articles for fish in cycling - it sounds like you have some good basics, but more info helps a fish keeper to be more confident and know what to do.
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/i-just-learned-about-cycling-but-i-already-have-fish-what-now/

https://www.aquariumadvice.com/fishin-cycling-step-dark-side/

Just some FYI
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f17/using-epsom-salt-in-fish-therapy-374191.html#post3548383

You are an absolute blessing. Thank you! I really, truly appreciate the info you gave me and I will spend today reading up on it.

I do have one question, though: if I were to rinse the substrate, can I just reach my hand into my tank and grab a handful? Quite honestly, I've never tried rinsing it, and I just want to make sure I'm doing it right.

I will continue with the Kanaplex after I've read through your threads and I fully understand the entire process. I do admit I could definitely do some more research and your help is greatly appreciated. I will also do some more research on cycling in general so I understand everything!!

I was also thinking of buying some Indian almond leaves to add to my tank, as I've heard so much good about them. Would it be okay if I put them in with the medication? I'll probably do some more research on my own as well, but you seem like the expert here.

Update: I changed the water for day one today. He still seems lethargic and stressed, and I am very nervous about him. His fins aren't doing well and I'm not sure whether or not to administer the medication, considering I'm going to be completing daily water changes for a little while.

Any advice? Should I dose the water again and see what happens? I want him to be as stress-free as possible, but the condition of his fins is getting quite worrying. He is still eating, thank God, but I am very worried.

Omg - I just ate dinner and found my fish stuck to the filter. I turned it off frantically and he just barely swam away. I'm so worried he's too weak to even swim away from the tiny current my filter produces. Please help when you can, I'm so nervous :(

Test the water and make sure the water is in 100% safe level.

You can put him into a container rinsed of any residue and with new water which is temp matched and treated for chlorine / chloramines. 4-5 inches deep is okay.

This will solve that immediate issue of in case the water isn't perfect.

Then change out the water of the tank, down to basically a 98% pwc.

Make sure old foods and such are vac'd out and you are starting with clean water.

Make the dose of medication for the amount of water you have, I think perfect water parameters and the medication are the only hope here. You can add a Indian Almond leaf or 6" piece of leaf - depending upon if you have leaves like 12 " or smaller ones.

You can see if he want's to eat while he is in the container. After about an hour or when you are done with changing the tank water again same water temp and always every time water dechlorinator (even if not mentioned) you can put him back into the tank. do you have a filter pad you haven't used yet or bulk filter pad to place in front of the filter so the fish can't really get stuck on the filter or pushed by hard flow.

Thank you so much. I am almost at a loss though because water parameters are good. Around 10ppm nitrates, 0ppm nitrites or chlorine. I've tested for ammonia and it also seems to be close to nothing. I'm going to try the IAL's and see what happens, as they arrive on Friday, but do you still think I should continue with the medication? at this point I have no idea why this is happening.

And no I do not have a filter pad or anything, but a foam cover covering the part of the filter that is physically inside the tank. That's what he got stuck on, and I installed that cover to ensure he wouldn't be hurt. It is quite soft but I hope it didn't damage his fins at all.

Antiboitics are effective if used to completion of treatment recommendations. I would complete the treatment as directed. Make sure to use the amount of medication for the amount of water you have him in.

Okay, I will try that and let you know how it goes. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom