Stunted Goldfish - Will they recover?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mumma.of.two

Aquarium Advice Obsessed
A couple of months back I adopted 3 fancy goldfish from an 8g tank. These fish spent at least 2 years (maybe more) in this tank with water changes every 3-6 months. They are stunted from this and are only 2 inches long (not including tail). I am wondering will they ever recover and grow properly again? I know there is no hope of them reaching the expected full size of a goldfish but will they ever come close? Has anyone got any experience with this? I'd like to hear your story.
Thanks.

Hmmmmm Goldfish don't reach adulthood until around 3 years. So they probably still have some growing to go.

My buddy had a common that was stunted real bad and when he moved it to a 20 gallon it grew another 4 inches.

The power of optimism does wonders! I say expect the best.

I actually rescue fancies and have many orandas moors pandas fantails ect they are very tough fish but will never fully recover from stunting cause their organs are likely full size and bodies are not but you can still keep them a long time about a year ago I adopted a moor stunted with a tumor I was sure it was the end but I removed the tumor and he is about 4 years old now (3 when I got him) and happy as can be I say they will be fine they might grow but slowly it just may shorten their life but still treat them good and you will have some beautiful fancies for years to come

Glad to hear you got them out of their poor living conditions

Oh and shoot jsoong a pm he is a Goldie guru and helped me many times with my fancy adoptions

joejeff said:
You removed a tumor?

Yes sir I put her in a Paul of water with clove oil untill she went lethargic placed her on a clean towel and had a premixed spray bottle with clove oil to spray on her gill untill I got the tumor removed

After removal a quick iodine swab then into a nice clean tank with extra oxygen and 2x50% wc everyday

The tumor can still return but it's not that hard to remove again

Dwohlge1 said:
Hmmmmm Goldfish don't reach adulthood until around 3 years. So they probably still have some growing to go.

My buddy had a common that was stunted real bad and when he moved it to a 20 gallon it grew another 4 inches.

The power of optimism does wonders! I say expect the best.

Thanks! That gives me hope :)

ryan-peddle said:
I actually rescue fancies and have many orandas moors pandas fantails ect they are very tough fish but will never fully recover from stunting cause their organs are likely full size and bodies are not but you can still keep them a long time about a year ago I adopted a moor stunted with a tumor I was sure it was the end but I removed the tumor and he is about 4 years old now (3 when I got him) and happy as can be I say they will be fine they might grow but slowly it just may shorten their life but still treat them good and you will have some beautiful fancies for years to come

Glad to hear you got them out of their poor living conditions

Oh and shoot jsoong a pm he is a Goldie guru and helped me many times with my fancy adoptions

Thank you! They are happy little fish now :) Living in luxury compared to what they had. I will definitely keep up the good treatment :D I was kind of expecting the worst so thank you!

ryan-peddle said:
Yes sir I put her in a Paul of water with clove oil untill she went lethargic placed her on a clean towel and had a premixed spray bottle with clove oil to spray on her gill untill I got the tumor removed

After removal a quick iodine swab then into a nice clean tank with extra oxygen and 2x50% wc everyday

The tumor can still return but it's not that hard to remove again

Well done! What a lucky little fish!

Because most of their growth occurs in the first 2-3yrs, unfortunately, the stunting is not reversible. They will grow some now that they have optimum living conditions (adult growth), but they will never 'fulfill' their genetic potential for expected adult size. Just take care of them & enjoy them (i know you will!!!)! :)

jlk said:
Because most of their growth occurs in the first 2-3yrs, unfortunately, the stunting is not reversible. They will grow some now that they have optimum living conditions (adult growth), but they will never 'fulfill' their genetic potential for expected adult size. Just take care of them & enjoy them (i know you will!!!)! :)

Thank you for the help as always! :)

I will have to talk to the guy I got them from and find out how long he had them.

Ok, just a thought, but IF they aren't going to grow much more what is the possibility of another tank mate?
40g (150L) tank filtration 530g/h (2000L/h) canister.

Mumma.of.two said:
Ok, just a thought, but IF they aren't going to grow much more what is the possibility of another tank mate?
40g (150L) tank filtration 530g/h (2000L/h) canister.

I would be hesitant but it could be done I would let the three have a happy healthy home together :)

I agree! Let them have a healthy, happy home! You could always get another tank for more goldies...lol!!! :)

I'd say if it looks like you have room then you have room for more. You know enough about stocking and whatnot to make a good determination, and you know what to do if you have to change things up later on.

jetajockey said:
I'd say if it looks like you have room then you have room for more. You know enough about stocking and whatnot to make a good determination, and you know what to do if you have to change things up later on.

Ah! I've been trying to get the thought out of my head ALL day! And now you've said that. Lol. I do think there will be room (there definitely is at the moment). **thinking**

Hi
In my own experience I saved 3 very sick and stunted goldfish from my nephew about 6 months ago if not more( 1 yellow comet, one perl scale and black moor) , only the yellow comet survived and he has now grown atleast two inches since then.. Although he is in a 55 gal tank on his own :)

If all else fails atleast they are in a much much better place with you... They can live the rest of their stunted life in clean fresh water! :)

Back
Top Bottom