Stupid ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Thecurly1

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok so I let the "I want it" take over me when I drove 2 hours to get some rummy nose tetras at the only fish store that has them. When I got their I watch them and noticed that they had icb! Well crap!!! Here I drove 2 hours to get this 4$ a piece fish and they hav stupid ich. So I did what any ate fish keeper would do...... I bought 5 of them... I know i know stupid... But o well I have a qt tank and hoping to get an adjustable heater for it to zap it goon b 4 I loose any. Luckily only one has signs of it but they r qt with some white cloud minnows (bought b 4 I knew anything about them) will they handle the heat? I know they r a cooler water fish was just wondering if anyone has had any experience w them ?

Very slowly raise the heat and add aquarium salt (not marine salt), the ones I had were as tough as nails

Ok so I let the "I want it" take over me when I drove 2 hours to get some rummy nose tetras at the only fish store that has them. When I got their I watch them and noticed that they had icb! Well crap!!! Here I drove 2 hours to get this 4$ a piece fish and they hav stupid ich. So I did what any ate fish keeper would do...... I bought 5 of them... I know i know stupid... But o well I have a qt tank and hoping to get an adjustable heater for it to zap it goon b 4 I loose any. Luckily only one has signs of it but they r qt with some white cloud minnows (bought b 4 I knew anything about them) will they handle the heat? I know they r a cooler water fish was just wondering if anyone has had any experience w them ?

they should be fine with the higher heat for a short period, just remember you will have to have them at that temp for about 4 weeks, because of the ichs long life cycle

This may sound like a dumb question but how can you tell by looking at the fish they ich? I am new to this hobby and was just wondering how you can tell.

Thank you so much!! Like I said I was afraid that was a dumb question!! But that is good information because I don't want to purchase a fish if it already has ich.

Just assume everyone you buy does because you can't tell if the fish has it most of the time.

I've delt with it b4 so knew what it was. Just looks kinda like little small white spots. Luckily only one of the fish I got had 2 spots on him I cranked up the heat added salt and every one seems to b taking it well. I did loose one of the smallest rummy nose he didn't visibly hav ich but I think he was just to small to deal with the commute home and different ph.

Back
Top Bottom