stupid id sharks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hc8719

Aquarium Advice Addict
are id sharks really as stupid as people make them out to be?

i heard they'll knock themself unconscious smashing their heads into the wall, if you move suddenly or turn on the lights when its dark

i was thinking about getting some, unless their really that stupid...

for those who dont know id shark=iridescent shark (or however you spell it)

i might get a 75g from someone, if not i'd go for a 125g

need to bump some of my fish out of my 55 gal, ive grown out of the tropical beginer fish like tetras, platies, mollies... too (not that i have anything against these fish)

i was hoping for some more exotic, impressive fish, and a 125 gal saltwater is gonna eat up too much room...

They will knock themselves out. When I was a supern00b to this hobby, my first fish was an ID in a 29 gallon. The pet store guy said NOTHING about them being zippy and easily startled fish. Well, they will knock themselves out. Other times when they are scared, they may just play dead, which I've seen happen.

They are VERY speedy fish and really need as much space as possible. I've heard that they can get quite large as well, so the bigger the better.

Those fish can get to be 4' long. Not really suited to aquaria, unless you could get an incredibly large tank.

just read up on them... 3 meters long at adult length, amazingly people lfs still sell them

ok i wont be needing one...

Well, most pet/fish stores I'm sure expect that most fish purchased are going to die before reaching maturity anyhow, so they probably just don't worry about it. They figure that anyone that knows enough to keep them alive until full maturity will know what to expect in the first place.

Besides, why would they educate you? The more fish you kill in your stupidity, the more money they make. That's what happened to me, and I'm sure it's happened to many other inexperienced aquariasts as well.

thats a given

just that i didnt think people would breed a giant, i mean you dont see lfs selling baby tuna

as in i was surprised they domesticated meter long fish

Back
Top Bottom