stupid me

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tropicfishman

Aquarium Advice Addict
well let me set the scene for you, its wonder 85 degrees or so, i've been boiling some small pieces of driftwood in the kitchen in a huge metal pot for around an hour. I go out back and take the lid off the spare ten gallon I have, its being used to soak some other pieces ofwood I have. I get the pieces out and lay them on the concrete patio so I can dump a pot of hot water over them to try and help kill anything living on or in them. with my oven mitts on and looking like a total goober I walk outside and launch the biggest wave of flesh scalding water at the wood. Now this would have been alright if I wasn't wearing a pair of shorts and a pair of tall socks. the boiling water hits the ground with a thud and splashes back twords me, my pathetic attempts to dodge it and still hold onto the pot are useless and my feet and shins get burned. At first it didn't really hurt that much........until it soaked through my socks. So here I am doing this ridicolous dance out back while holding a huge metal pot and screaming. longstory short....my feet hurt. badly. I now realize I should have dumped it in the bathtub. So anyone who decides to dump boiling water on your driftwood, be sure to wear shoes and long pants or just do it in the tub.

OWWWW That HAD to hurt. I'm terribly sorry for your ordeal. Hope your legs and shins get better. You gotta admit though thatll be one you can laugh about for years to come. I got this picture in my head of you dancing around wearing big mitts and shorts while holding an enormous pot spilling scalding hot water everywhere. Sounds EXACTLY like something I would do. Among other stupid things never to do: Throw a huge turkey burger into skillet filled with hot oil, effectively throwing hot oil all over your arm. Then because you are in closeproximity to a stove element your arm bursts into flames and you dance around screaming before realizing to stop drop and roll....and scream some more. Oh yeah people, I did that. As bad as it was ...I still think it was hilarious.....and stupid. LOL So dont feel bad tropicfishman!!! Get well soon!!

OMG I really hope you are alright. I'm so sorry. And yes I am LOL at the mental image, can't help it, I come from a family of clutz's. Make sure you put cold water on the burns and keep an eye on them for any blistering.

Wow, I'm sorry to hear about that! I know it must hurt because i used to change oil in phoenix and in the summer time with people driving around all day then coming in to get their oil changed in a hurry. Man that hurt! So I feel your pain. Like they said put COLD water on it and get some aloe to help with the blistering. Good luck and sorry to hear the bad news!

tropicfishman said:
Now this would have been alright if I wasn't wearing a pair of shorts and a pair of tall socks.

Like they said, cold water. Do not put ice on it, just run cold water on it. You can even soak it in the tub. Hope you get better, and like ocean said... it will be a funny story in a few weeks. And, of course, I cant not mention the fact that you were wearing shorts and tall socks..... if you would have been more fashionable, then you would have had ankle socks on, and you would have burnt the skin directly..... so props to bad fashion! :) Get better tropic

Thanks everyone for your support and concern, sadly i'm already laughing about it, didn't know that I should put cold water on it though, i'm sure my neighbors just loved to watch that one, as they have seen some of my many ignorant stunts before, such as, trying to ramp a 600 lb utlity atv off a wooden ramp, but instead just shattering through the ramp and smashing into a chain link fence, which led to 12 stitches and a seperated shoulder, or the time I set the weed eater on fire by spilling gas all over it, then having the bright idea to spray ether into the motor with the spark plug out becuase it wouldn't start, then yanking on the cord causing a huge combustion and igniting the gas, which ended up after a few minutes burning my poor yard to a crisp lol

My goodness, you have had some unusual accidents. Your neighbours must find you entertaining. Too bad it involves you hurting yourself. My brother is a lot like you. Has strange and unusual accidents. He usually hurts himself too. Take care of that burn. Oh and if it's hot out tomorrow, don't wear shorts again, your burnt legs will not appreciate sunlight!

Hey it is good to learn form other's mistakes.. I will take into account. If I decide one day to put some woods in my 20 gallon tank...
Just wondering, if boil the wood, could I leave it in the water till the water cools down?

Hey Tropic you are making me feel very guilty about laughing, but you paint quite the picture (and I am laughing). The things we do for our tanks!

haha thats classic...oops....sorry, hope you are ok, but funny the way you put it !!
oh well, you can only look at the bright side of it..

~Matty

Back
Top Bottom