stupid petco plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lordofworms

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok, so I made the mistake as I am sure everyone here has at some point...I had alot of plants from Petco and sure enough, many rotted and fouled the tank,etc...why? well because they like to sell aquarium plants that are NOT but rather terrarium plants...doh!

anyways, I did manage to find a real store that sells real plants, but I did purchase two or more plants that were labeled as crypts from petco.
I have included the pics. are these really crypts and are they of the submersible variety? they dont seem to be dying but they dont seem to be growing much either.
plus if able I would like to know 'what' kind of crypts I have...
I would be yanking them out asap if they are not true aquarium plants as I was quite distressed to rip down my whole aquascape before because of purchasing a variety of
ferns, pineapple plants, green and red hedge and some mondo grass.....frm petco...that all seemed to yellow ,turn transluscent and decay...

Attachments

• crypt1.jpg
    crypt1.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 81
  • crypt2.jpg
    crypt2.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 81
Live plants are really fun and can really add to any aquarium. The problem with tank plants like house plants is if not cared for, they die. The difference is if they die in the tank, it could affect fish.

I used to have a tank with plants and they grew like wild fire. The secret is very simple... fertilize.

Tetra makes a plant food that can be put directly into your tank to assist the plants. In additon, there are fertilizer tabs that are added directly under the plant roots that aid in feeding.

I have not had any experience with plants from Petco, but when I did have my plants tank, I used to take 5 gallon buckets back to the local pet shop that I bought them from as they were overcrowding my tank.

I do fertilize with seachem flourish tabs. and do an EI dosing schedule (with dry ferts - max doses and do 50% water changes at end of week)
I can see under the tank (I have a open bottom cabinet) the roots from these guys and sources aren't kidding when they say heavy root feeders. I was just worried I was fert'ing them and enjoying their placement only to have to rip them out when it turns out they are not crypts but some common household plant....
but I trust your advice here so yay! I can keep these plants in my tank.

thank you all.

Back
Top Bottom