Stuttering/Stalling cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

greyboysix

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey y'all. Back again. This time I have a question about my cycle. I'm doing a fishless one, as everyone recommends. Anyway, I'm on day 17 of the cycle, and I'm worried that something may have gone kinda wrong. I'll preface this by saying I use an API Freshwater Master Test Kit. My Ammonia cycle started about five days in; decreasing slowly at first, then more rapidly. My nitrites spiked to 5ppm at day 8. MY nitrates have hovered between 5 and 10ppm, seemingly dropping to exactly 5ppm for two days (which are days 10 and 11 in the cycle) and then returning to between 5 and 10ppm. My pH has remained rock solid at between 8.0 and 8.2 (the shade on the test kid is somewhere between the two), and I think that's due to using crushed coral as my substrate. Anyhow, my nitrites have been at 5ppm for ten days now, and I'm wondering if this is normal, or if it should have started coming down by now. Also, as for the "stuttering" part of the subject line, my ammonia level has been doing something odd. Since day seven, the first time it hit zero, I have added ammonia to the tank to keep the level at about 4ppm. I only have added the ammonia when it hits zero, as that was recommended to me by someone at the lfs. The odd thing is this: after I add one tablespoon of pure ammonia to the (29 gallon) tank, it hits 4ppm. Then, the next day, when I take my readings, it's at .25. Next day, same thing, .25. Then the day after that, it's zero. It keeps following exactly the same pattern. If the level reads zero tomorrow, it will be the fourth cycle like this. This is odd, right? Perhaps I'm using my kit wrong, or am taking even the slightest little smidge of green in the tube too seriously? Help! Thanks in advance!

I would think to stop adding the ammonia and let things run there course. The Nitrites should drop to zero for sure. It sounds like you have dosed enough ammonia to start the cycle(too much ammonia addition is also not good) The bacteria converts the ammonia to nitrite then nitrate. So The Nitrite is probably from each time you add the ammonia dose. Remember the bacteria are just babies and they will grow overtime as the tank matures. Just leave it alone give it 1 week then do a PWC and you should be cycled a complete cycle usually takes 3-6weeks so if you are on day 17 and give it 7 more days you will be on day 24 Do a decent water change then add 1 fish and then after another week add one more fish slowly growing the bacteria level. And even after the first cycle you will possibly see some mini-cycles after that when you add more life to your tank. Keep up on the testing and the PWC and you should be fine.
I Had Crushed Coral at one point but then realized it was housing waste and adding to the Nitrate levels so I removed it and replaced with a sugar fine sand.

Last edited:
I would not stop dosing ammonia, keep the ammonia at 2ppm, once both ammonia and nitrite drop to 0ppm you are cycled. With no ammonia source the cycle will stall. I think your cycle is progressing completely normally. At this point nitrate readings aren't completely accurate. Too much ammonia is not a good thing as mentioned but some ammonia source is a necessity.

I concur with Anne. Keep adding your Ammonia on a daily basis to avoid a die off of the bacteria that converts the Ammonia to Nitrite. Cutting back to 2ppm will work much better than only dosing occationally.

It is normal even with a typical cycle using fish for the Nitrites to stall for awhile before finally falling. This is a result of the Bacteria colony still needing to expand to handle the new food source. Unfortunately when the food source is inconsistant, it makes it harder for the colony to develop. That's another reason why you need to dose to constant levels of Ammonia.

Thanks again peoples! I will add enough to keep the tank at 2ppm. I'll see how this works and sorta report back in a week.

I concur with Anne. Keep adding your Ammonia on a daily basis to avoid a die off of the bacteria that converts the Ammonia to Nitrite. Cutting back to 2ppm will work much better than only dosing occationally.

It is normal even with a typical cycle using fish for the Nitrites to stall for awhile before finally falling. This is a result of the Bacteria colony still needing to expand to handle the new food source. Unfortunately when the food source is inconsistant, it makes it harder for the colony to develop. That's another reason why you need to dose to constant levels of Ammonia.

cool likes like I learned something new here as well. :)

Looks like I may have made that post a bit too soon. Tested my water this morning and found a nitrate spike. It doesn't match the tiny decline in nitrites, but I guess I have to assume that it's not far behind, right? I also added a small amount of ammonia this morning, to bring the tank to 2ppm. Can't wait to see what it looks like tomorrow morning. Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom