Substrate lava aquarium porous rocks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ann1971

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm planning a tank containing Heterandria Formosa. I bought lava substrate for an Opae Ula tank. Could I use the lava rock for the fish instead? I am only providing Java Fern in my tank, nothing that needs to be planted in substrate.
Thank you,
Ann

I had lava rocks on top of sand when I first started. Very pretty. They collected all kinds of detritus, unfortunately. I've seen other people use them *under* sand, but you have to use a boatload of sand, because they will work themselves up.

I wasn't planning on using sand, just the lava substrate. If I crush them into smaller bits, would there be less of a chance for food and other debris being trapped? Am I just asking for trouble and should just stick to pea size gravel? I just want a cover for the fish to feel to comfortable.
Thank you both for your answers.
Ann

crushed lava rock is VERY sharp.
due to it being Vitrified natural glass.
I have a rock crusher which i used on some awhile back to make a packing for a project.
It will readily scratch glass,if it was tumbled for a period & crushed to 20-60 mesh it would be very nice but without tumbling the exposed edges are very sharp.
there is a product called ecotraction dont know sizes for sure but it is cheap.

EcoTraction - award-winning winter safety alternative to road salt/chlorides.

I don't like lava rock substrate it's all porus and can have parasites spawn rapidly in the pours. I used to have lava rock in a lot of tanks rock or substrate. I quit using it and it really helped the infections and parasites on the fish go down -.

-That's only my opinion

Thank you all for your answers! I had no idea of the problems it can cause I guess I lost my money there. Would plain natural gravel do? It's just so the bottom won't be bare. I don't plan to have any substrate planted vegetation. Thank you for the link, Goldguru.
Ann

Estes Marine Sand sounds good from my research, so I think that I will go with that.
Ann

Plain gravel and sand work just fine. I'm so sorry if you already bought lava rock substrate!!! I just wasted your money!!! But yes, the you are thinking of getting will work very well

Thank you very much! It's best I found out before I used it. I wouldn't want to compromise their health. Maybe I can use it for drainage when I replant my cactus, or just chuck it.
Ann

Back
Top Bottom