Substrate layering advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

roydooms

Aquarium Advice Addict
Any good advice on substrate layering for a planted tank?

When using substrate for plants like "flourite", eco-complete, and such. Do you still need to dose ferts?

It depends on lighting and your plant selections. Most medium-to high light tanks still have a requirement for fertilizer addition.

And eventually, the substrate will be depleted and require supplimentation anyways.

As far as layering, are you talking about putting a layer or laterite underneath it, or like capping the eco or flourite with sand/gravel?

fort384 said:
It depends on lighting and your plant selections. Most medium-to high light tanks still have a requirement for fertilizer addition.

I have low to medium light plants. I still dose though or is it just gonna go to waste and that plants can only absorb too much? Thanks :D

mfdrookie516 said:
And eventually, the substrate will be depleted and require supplimentation anyways.

As far as layering, are you talking about putting a layer or laterite underneath it, or like capping the eco or flourite with sand/gravel?

I actually have no idea but I know I want the Eco-complete. I don't know which ones to put underneath or top of it though. Or I'll just stick with the Eco-complete and that's it.

mfdrookie516 said:

Do I need to replace it again or can I keep it even when it's depleted of nutrients?

I would count excel as a fert (as a source of Carbon).

You may still need to dose... but it may change what you are currently dosing. I use Amazonia substrate, and still dose N, P, K, and traces (and occasionally excel).

I wouldn't go through the trouble of replacing it. Root tabs will give you the basic nutrients that you need. It may not even be necessary if you don't have heavy root feeders like swords. I mean, there will be some benefit for all plants to pull nutrients out of the substrate, but the majority can pull all they need from the water column.

fort384 said:
I would count excel as a fert (as a source of Carbon).

You may still need to dose... but it may change what you are currently dosing. I use Amazonia substrate, and still dose N, P, K, and traces (and occasionally excel).

Ok. Is there a way to test the level of ferts in the water?

mfdrookie516 said:
I wouldn't go through the trouble of replacing it. Root tabs will give you the basic nutrients that you need. It may not even be necessary if you don't have heavy root feeders like swords. I mean, there will be some benefit for all plants to pull nutrients out of the substrate, but the majority can pull all they need from the water column.

Are you saying to not replace the substrate an just use root tabs? I have at least 10 swords an I'm already using root tabs.

I agree with 'rook... I don't think the benefits outweigh the drawbacks of trying to replace substrate in an established discus tank...

Get some specialty substrate for your next tank (assuming you have caught MTS by now) and give it a try from square one, if you are really into trying it out.

Well, my comment was in reply to your question about replacing the substrate after it has been depleted. But, take it either way. Personally, I wouldn't replace what you have in your discus tank either.

Ok. Is there a way to test the level of ferts in the water?

Yes...

Test N using your Nitrate test kit.

P can be tested by using a PO4 test kit, which is available at any store that sells saltwater stuff.

K, no need to test... it takes comparatively extremely high levels to become toxic to fish. Just add it when you see K deficiency, or just make sure there is always more than enough available (you will export excess when you do PWCs).

You can get an Fe test kit... but they are expensive, and not very accurate in low range. For the traces, you can either wait for deficiencies or just dose a good trace on a regular schedule. Again, excess gets exported when you do your weekly maintenance/PWCs.

fort384 said:
I agree with 'rook... I don't think the benefits outweigh the drawbacks of trying to replace substrate in an established discus tank...

Get some specialty substrate for your next tank (assuming you have caught MTS by now) and give it a try from square one, if you are really into trying it out.

I don't really want another tank. I already have four. I just got a 55g. I was goin to use it to put all the fish while I'm replacing the substrate. But if dosing ferts and using root tabs will have the same effect with Eco-complete etc. then you guys are right that there is no need to replace the substrate.

fort384 said:
Yes...

Test N using your Nitrate test kit.

P can be tested by using a PO4 test kit, which is available at any store that sells saltwater stuff.

K, no need to test... it takes comparatively extremely high levels to become toxic to fish. Just add it when you see K deficiency, or just make sure there is always more than enough available (you will export excess when you do PWCs).

You can get an Fe test kit... but they are expensive, and not very accurate in low range. For the traces, you can either wait for deficiencies or just dose a good trace on a regular schedule. Again, excess gets exported when you do your weekly maintenance/PWCs.

Ok. That's good to know. You said you still dose excel? I thought that you don't have to do that when you have a CO2 system? I dose excel everyday. The bottle says dose everyday or every other day. Is that ok?

Every day is probably fine.

Yes, I dose excel sporadically, mostly as a prophylaxis for algae. I also run CO2 at 30+ ppm.

fort384 said:
Every day is probably fine.

Yes, I dose excel sporadically, mostly as a prophylaxis for algae. I also run CO2 at 30+ ppm.

I see. How cone that rven with dosing excel everyday I still have algae. I just noticed that I have some spots with diatoms again(mostly slow growing plants) and those green spot algae.

Well, something else is probably out of balance. What else are you dosing?

Start with an N test (nitrate).

Back
Top Bottom