Substrate question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bradleyheathhays

Aquarium Advice Regular
Doing a planted 125 and now that I can't find any cheap way to get some Aqua Soil to me I'm gonna have to go with plan B for my substrate. So now I'm planning on doing a mixture of Fluorite and rock. I'd do all Fluorite but some have said it eventually degrades and collapses, so the rock is in there to help stabilize the whole substrate base whenever that starts to happen. The major complaint about Fluorite was that you had to wash and wash and wash it, but that after all that was done it was an ok substrate. Fairly knowledgeable LFS guy told me not to wash it b/c that's washing off all the nutrients. This makes sense keeping in mind that clays slowly disintegrate from the outside in. Since I don't mind the initial cloudiness it causes when not washed I'll probably just go with the LFS guy and put it straight in.

So questions are...can anybody suggest another substrate higher in nutrients than what I'm planning? Also, what ratio of rock to Fluorite should I aim for? Would like to keep the Fluorite % as high as poss only throwing enough Rock in to keep things supported. I'm guessing about 50/50 would be best for stabilization although I'll probably end up putting in more Fluorite that that, maybe 75/25.

Thanks

if you don't mind the cloudiness, have you thought about using organic potting mix and cap it off with flourite(or just regular plain gravel)? plenty nutrients and cheap.

Your Tank

Hello brad...

Why not go with standard polished gravel. It rinses easily and doesn't leave anything in the tank to cloud the water. Doesn't compact and create voids that can create water chemistry problems and is easily vacuumed. Plants do fine with it because there's plenty of small spaces to allow water circulation for good nutrient use. It's inexpensive and with a little creativity, you can make some nice color variations.

Most times, the simple way is the best. Your choice of course.

B

Thanks dragon. I'd be fine with a potting mix, it's just that I've heard other talk about how your tank is always dirty if you do dirt that I've been swayed away from it. I suppose if I laid on a thick layer of Fluorite that would help keep everything covered well.

BBrad you're probably right on with your suggestion especially considering this is gonna be my first tank. I've been planning on this being a heavily planted tank so I've been trying to cram in all the nutrients I can into it's design. I've heard plenty enough that all ferts for a good planted tank can be added through water chemistry that I probably should take your suggestion and go the simpler route. I def like the 'vacuumability' of gravel I have to say.

I would agree with the dirt, you could get miracle gro organic potting mix ($4/bag I think) and cap it with something like sand or eco-complete. I capped the dirt in my 55g with black blasting sand, it worked fine.

Back
Top Bottom