Substrate question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mar23

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok, my plans for my new tank are slowly coming along. Now I need advice on the choice of substrate. I was sure I was going to get eco complete, and then I read some negative reviews on Amazon. My tank is a 60 gallon (48" long). I will have it in a room that gets a lot of sunlight almost all day (but none directly on the tank), so between that and the lights that came with the tank, I think it will be ok for lighting. I'm getting real plants. Being inexperienced, I want to stock it with low maintenance, easy to grow plants. I will not be doing CO2 injections and possibly not even root tabs.

The negative comments that I have read about eco complete mentioned a possible spike in PH caused by the substrate. They also said it smells foul and the smell doesn't go away for weeks. Several people said they had massive fish deaths after introducing it. So, now I have doubts. I want to get this right from the beginning.

So, what substrate do you recommend? I don't really like sand, especially the light kind.
Thank you!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Eco complete is a fantastic product. The problem with going with amazon reviews, is that taken out of context we really have no idea what the problem is.
For example:
Fish deaths and bad smell could have both been caused by ammonia in the tank which is common after setting up a new tank or changing out the substrate.

That being said, the planted substrates aren't necessary. Even with the special substrates, you will still have to use root tabs to keep your root feeding plants healthy. I would go with pool filter sand personally.

Eco complete is a fantastic product. The problem with going with amazon reviews, is that taken out of context we really have no idea what the problem is.
For example:
Fish deaths and bad smell could have both been caused by ammonia in the tank which is common after setting up a new tank or changing out the substrate.

That being said, the planted substrates aren't necessary. Even with the special substrates, you will still have to use root tabs to keep your root feeding plants healthy. I would go with pool filter sand personally.

Ok. So, a regular black gravel would be good enough for a planted tank? I'm concerned that I may want to go with higher maintenance plants as I gain more experience and I will be stuck with an inadequate substrate.

I have Eco and it is a great substrate, so are a number of other types of sand. Sand blasting sand can be found in different colors and grit sizes at a welding supply store. The bags are 40-50 lbs and run appx. $18. From the supplier in the major town not far away (Denver). So I would have to drive there or combine trips as to not waste the money to drive there to pic it up.

Online I ended up getting free shipping on 4 or 5 bags of Eco for my large tank, yipee!

This is the pic I always show people looking at the differences because you can see it up close and those SAE are 5-6 inches long.

60074-albums11380-picture52589.jpg

60074-albums11380-picture64776.jpg

Last edited:
I have EcoComplete and I love it. No problems with PH or odor. My plants are very healthy.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428845892.992387.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428845925.990892.jpg

I also have a Hex tank with CaribSea FloraMax and have not had any issues.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428846655.317967.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428846682.921581.jpg

I never vacuum the substrate. I just let the plants do their job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, really pretty planted tank!

Thank you. Everything that I have learned was on this forum. There is a lot of solid information here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its important to note, that the work you put into your planted tank is far far more important than the substrate you have.

Is eco complete safe for cory cats? It looks pretty rough in some of the pictures.

Cory cats usually get damaged more by poor water parameters rather than the substrate. Its fine for them.

Cory cats usually get damaged more by poor water parameters rather than the substrate. Its fine for them.

Ok, thanks. I was asking because one review did mention a cory dying because it was cut up by the substrate. Do you have cories in a tank with eco complete?

How about 1 inch of eco complete topped with another inch of rounded black gravel or black sand? Would that work?

Ok, thanks. I was asking because one review did mention a cory dying because it was cut up by the substrate. Do you have cories in a tank with eco complete?

See my earlier comment on amazon reviews.

. The problem with going with amazon reviews, is that taken out of context we really have no idea what the problem is.
For example:

In aquaria. blaming fish deaths on something without accompanying information is the equivalent of blaming the boogey man.

I do not personally use corys with eco complete, mostly because i no longer have any cory cats. However, eco complete and corys are a popular combination here on the forums.

Hi. I have ten Cory's in my tank with Eco. They are fine and don't have barbel problems. MTS love it as well. Eco doesn't make the tank smell and I suspect negative reviewers have had other factors at play. Because my tank is heavily planted I don't deep vacuum but I expect if I did then the gunge released would smell. I am a great believer in leaving the tank substrate as undisturbed as possible, apart from the fab job that the MTS do in slowly turning it over.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom