Substrate ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redfisher1139

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was thinking of replacing, a little at a time, my crushed coral substrate, which I have been told from many sources harbors nitrates like a homeless shelter, with RO rinsed, silicate free playsand. If I did this, would I need to add a ph buffer to keep my ph up, or would the live rock be calcerous enough to keep it up? My lr is mostly haitian lettuce rock.

I don't think you will need any ph buffer, just keep an eye on your ammonia and nitrite levels as you go, might cause some big spikes.

I don't know if I'd get playsand...I saw someone else on this forum that had his tank crash. He had used playsand and had been kinda moving stuff around and stirred it up. The sand could have irritated the fish and might have been the cause of death. Playsand is very fine...I would worry about the potential to irritate a fishes gills

How to clean grass bottom aquarium

So I want to put dwarf clover at the bottom of my tank but I don't know how i would clean it.

RYANLAWRENCE said:
I don't know if I'd get playsand...I saw someone else on this forum that had his tank crash. He had used playsand and had been kinda moving stuff around and stirred it up. The sand could have irritated the fish and might have been the cause of death. Playsand is very fine...I would worry about the potential to irritate a fishes gills

Yeah, I noticed that as I put it in, so I made it a dsb and added a layer of not as fine live sand.

Fish12345 - It's best to start a new thread of your own to get more responses. Click on the "forums" link, then the section you want to post under, then click the "new thread" button.

Back
Top Bottom