Substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jyoung2014

Aquarium Advice Regular
How does one change the substate in an aquarium? Could it "un-cycle" the tank?

I asked that same question yesterday, I had 2 responses. Both said take all the fish out, change the substrate and put the fish back in. Keep some of the tank water so you can add it to the new water.

I want to go with décor marbles instead of gravel. However, I read online that if I do that the beneficial bacteria won't have anywhere to live.

Oh alright, yea i'm planning on adding sand instead of the gravel i have now, i'm assuming it will work out fine, thank you for the response!

As long as you don't change your filter media regularly feel free to go ahead and change out the substrate. Any cycle that happens because of it should be short lived and safe to fish.

Just be sure to very thoroughly wash the sand before it goes in.

Oh alright, yea i'm planning on adding sand instead of the gravel i have now, i'm assuming it will work out fine, thank you for the response!

I just went to change my substrate and i scooped it out and the entire tank filled with cloudy water, i think it was fish poop or left over food, what should i do? Water change until clear?

And you might want to swish your filter media around in the tank after you change it.

I just went to change my substrate and i scooped it out and the entire tank filled with cloudy water, i think it was fish poop or left over food, what should i do? Water change until clear?

Yeah a water change will clear it up. Gravel collects tons of debris.

Back
Top Bottom