substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Danicalderon

Aquarium Advice Regular
So i got fluval stratum substrate is it ok to add white sand on top of it or not?? Im new to planted aquariums

You could use the sand as a cap, but it might be a bit dirty. You can't always be moving it around. But what you could do is maybe use the sand to make like a river flowing through your substrate, then plant on both sides.

I still have to arrange the plants since i had to leave home didnt have time yesterday kind of just threw them in there

ForumRunner_20131015_160911.jpg

ForumRunner_20131015_160926.jpg

ForumRunner_20131015_160945.jpg

=( I I found some rocks on my grandparents farm. Just boiled them for 5min then popped them in once cooled.

ForumRunner_20131015_124947.jpg

Lol my cory wanted to say hi.

I guess i could get some rocks from the back yard any way to tell if they are safe to be on the aquarium??

Thats not bad i havent get any casualties yet just have to take all baby apple snails out to the pet store since like too many of them and they get all over the plants. Dont really like how they look there

Thats not bad i havent get any casualties yet just have to take all baby apple snails out to the pet store since like too many of them and they get all over the plants. Dont really like how they look there

Lol I love apple snails, but I never owned any. They look cute. But in numbers I guess could be annoying.

As for the rocks, if you scrub the rock really good, and pour a little vinegar on it, if it bubbles, it's no good. That means the rock could break down in your tank. Hard to know what kind of rock you have without the label xD I was "iffy" when I first did it, but turns out the rock I have is safe. I also check my water frequently to make sure there are no unusual changes.

Godsfan, also an AA member told me you could use an aquarium safe silicone to cover stuff to put in your tank. I.e. plastic dinosaur!

I like apple snails too they are very active at good temperature ok soo im gonna start trying some rocks see if i can find one i like
Never seen that silicone i guess i have to look into it too. You have a 20gl right?

Yes, I have a 20g and two 10g. I have rocks in two of my tanks. And Godsfan said you can find the silicone at lowes. Just needs to be aquarium safe. I still have to find it here.

Thats cool i want a 40 or 50g and i dont have lowes right here but im sure we have to have at some store around here.can you show a pic of your tanks?

Back
Top Bottom