Substrate ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cassie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'd like to replace the crummy resin aquarium gravel in my 30 gal. before I put it back up. Keeping in mind the possibility of some dwarf panda cories in my future, which I understand need a smoother substrate, what would you guys recommend as a substrate? I looked at a fish store yesterday and they had some really neat smooth polished river rock, but would that still be too rough on the barbels of the cories?

I think you primarily want to avoid sharp edges. I have pea gravel in my tank and they do fine, although they do like to dig their heads into the substrate. Where I have eco they seem to root around like little pigs. Consider sand if that appeals to your taste. I have seen some really beautiful sand bottom tanks on this forum.

Is pool filter sand so fine that if you used a python it would all go up the vacuum when you clean the tank? My husband had pool sand and it was rather fine....

Pool filter sand is fine, but I have had very little go up my python. The sand seems to be "heavy" enough that with my faucet on full blast it resists the pressure to go up the vac. I have been vac'ing this tank for 6 months with the python and sand as well.

Keep in mind also that the waste tends to settle on top of the sand, so you don't need to stick the vac down into it, which also minimizes the amount that gets sucked up. Just lightly siphon from the top.

I use PFS in all my tanks. I dig the python into the sand to aerate it and pull up quickly, the sand I have is rather heavy and falls out of the gravel vac before being sucked up into the hose. Also waving the hose over the sand will suck the detrimis up. It's cheap and very natural looking.

I agree with Anne on all accounts. My pfs is heavy and not all that fine. I move it around with the Python, that's how I aquascape. Just make sure you don't fill the syphon up too full until you get the hang of it.

Back
Top Bottom