Suggestions about fish choice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

heyz0os

Aquarium Advice Activist
I previously posted up a question about my tank being cloudy, found out it was just dust from the aragonite sand:] Right now it's just slightly cloudy...bacterial bloom? Maybe.

Anyways, I wanted opinions on what fish to fill the tank with:] so far, I'm going to get-
- Male and female clownfish (with anemone)
-Blue damsel

I don't want to overpopulate my tank (it's a 37 gallon bowfront) and since the clownfish are hopefully going to be mated, I want to get another fish to kind of keep the damsel company. Can I get another without overpopulation? If so, suggestions?

I do have a bit of a worry though. I read that the clownfish mate and lay eggs every 1-2 weeks. Even if they decide to eat the eggs, will they get really aggressive towards the others even if they lay in the anemone?

Clowns can get agressive when defending their eggs. Some worse than others. Be careful with any damsel IMO. They can be real mean. Consider blennies and gobies. Blennies are some of the personable fish. Really neat.

I wouldn't reccommend a nem for at least a year in your tank the water needs to be spot on.I dont think you need to spend the money on a mated pair,first get used to running and keeping a good clean tank and keep an eye on all the water parameters and just get 2 clowns and make sure one is a lot larger than the other.They only keep other fish away from their clutch of eggs.

Maroon clowns are the most aggressive of clowns so I'd stay away from them. I would also not get the damsel due to aggression. Blennys and gobys are the way to go like Ray said.

Here are some of my favorites due to color and personalities
-Blue eyed midas blenny
-firefish
-jawfish: good for the sand
-diamond sandsifter goby: also good for the sand
-royal gramma
-African flameback angel:can be a coral nipper though

Here are my favorite sites to look fish up on...it will give information on the fish too, like tank size

Saltwater Fish: Marine Aquarium Fish for Saltwater Aquariums

Saltwater Fish Goby, Saltwater Fish Blenny, Saltwater Fish Jaw Fish

Yeah I wanted to get a watchman goby:]

So, no clownfish? Damsel is out of the question then.

I would agree with others and say go ahead with clowns you don't really have to get to a mated pair though, just do like he said and get one bigger than the other and they will most likely pair. I wouldn't add an anemone yet (lesson I learned the hard way) Make sure your tank is mature enough for that. I would also not add the damsel. They always end up being something I kind of want to get rid off later on in my past tanks.

"Something I kind of want to get rid of" hahahah alright.

And I actually want to get a mated pair...but I'll think about It for the sake of the others. I'm getting the vibe that the clownfish don't need the anemone right? I read its just out of natural instinct for them

clownfish can host loads of different things as well as nems,I'm in the process of breeding clowns and have let HA grow for this reason and they host that as well as a clay pot.definately get some clowns Kelsey was just saying maroons can be aggressive,have a look at some snowcasso,misbars,gold banded maroons,and lightening clowns.

I just thought of another fish you might want to consider :) the banghi cardinals. You can get them as a pair or just one and they are very easy to breed if you ever wanted to do that. They also swim in the middle of the tank which is nice.

kms907 said:
I just thought of another fish you might want to consider :) the banghi cardinals. You can get them as a pair or just one and they are very easy to breed if you ever wanted to do that. They also swim in the middle of the tank which is nice.

Ill look into them:] what about green chromis? I read that they are also damsels and on this post I've been getting bad news about damsels :p

Back
Top Bottom