Sump Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MikeYQM

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok, I'm sure this will raise a lot of ancillary questions, but:

Does an overflow introduce a lot of microbubbles into a sump?

I'm building a quick/cheap sump & Fuge. I'm using a HOB skimmer that produces minimal bubbles as I already have it. I'm planning to place a single wall to seperate the intake/skimmer/Fuge side from the return side. If the skimmer isn't an issue for bubbles, are baffles necessary?

you need a seperator between the skimmer and return pump also because of evaporation,skimmers need a steady water level not on the flutuates,baffles are also used for this,also what happens if your skimmer starts to produce bubbles later on in maybe 6 months.I would fit baffles.
If your not having any sand or mud in the sump your baffles need to start with water flow under the first baffle over the next and under the last,this setup helps stop any water cascading into the return pump section and causing micro bubbles as well.

I would still use a bubble trap in lieu of a single divider in the sump.

Its understandable that the skimmer isn't creating alot of bubbles, but water dropping down to a sump as well as other things in a dedicated sump like a fuge might. You never know what direction or what equipment you will go with in your sump.

I would just add another wall for a bubble trap and call it done.

Back
Top Bottom