Sump question!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Thatfishfreak91

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok so I need some plants and fish that well get rid of nitrates and nitrites and keep my pH low here is my sump (20 gallons freshwater sump)

image-1371354622.jpg

image-3623955372.jpg

It's going to be a freshwater refugium

Fish are not going to lower nitrogenous waste but plants will absorb some nitrates. Plenty of free floating plants will be great for a refugium if your not interested in actually planting it. In regards to PH what are you looking for and why?

Fish are not going to lower nitrogenous waste but plants will absorb some nitrates. Plenty of free floating plants will be great for a refugium if your not interested in actually planting it. In regards to PH what are you looking for and why?

I have a VERY high pH at 8.2 (yikes) and I would feel good if it was at 6.0-7.6

A PH that high is going to require an RO/DI unit. What do you plan on keeping? There are fish that will tolerate that as well as plants. You could also inject co2 which the plants will love AND it will lower your PH. It will however not alter the alkalinity

Well I'm deciding on what fish but I KNOW I want 1 firemouth and 1 green serverum
I also what some tetras and a pleco and maybe some julies but I'm still researching
And where can I find co2 to inject

Well I'm deciding on what fish but I KNOW I want 1 firemouth and 1 green serverum
I also what some tetras and a pleco and maybe some julies but I'm still researching
And where can I find co2 to inject

How big is your main tank? I'm assuming with a 20 gallon sump you have a 40 or a 55? I'm not sure on the compatability of those. But I think the two cichlids alone are too big for those tanks, let alone adding a pleco. And you could buy a CO2 system or put one together yourself which would probably be cheaper. I got my 5lb tank for $60, my regulator,solenoid, and bubble counter for $50, DIY reactor for $20, and a cheap drop checker. So altogether I spent close to $150 for the whole setup which is MUCH cheaper than many of the premade setups

Back
Top Bottom