Sump Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

acolotto

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I just broke down my 150 gallon freshwater aquarium and now have an extra sump and wanted use it for my 55 mixed reef. But i have a couple questions because in the freshwater tank it was just there for the water volume nothing in it besides the return pump. The sump its self is about 20-25 gallons of added water volume, but has a single water level at about 10", I am at work right now will add pictures of sump later. I have attached a couple options of what I am trying to do, would this setup be effective and worth while to setup? Would I have issues with a skimmer based on the single 10" water level? Also I like the option with the frag tank looped in would this work?

Attachments

• SUMP WITH FRAG.jpg
    SUMP WITH FRAG.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 244
  • SUMP.jpg
    SUMP.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 90
For sure a sump and refugium is worth it !!! Algae will grow in the refugium instead of in the DT.

Every skimmer is rated to work under a certain water level. If 10" is too much, then you can lift the skimmer on a support, wood blocks, etc... Be imaginative, but just to tell you it can be lifted if too much water in the sump.

For sure, yes, you can plug multiple tanks on the same setup, don't overstock and under filter. Make sure bio filtration is enough for the overall setup. If you add a 20g to the setup, then add the required amount of LR.

The inconvenient of doing this, is that if one of your tanks get contaminated by a ****, then all could be...

You'll need to put a baffle in to keep the water level so the skimmer can work As water evaporates the water level will drop in the sump Most put the skimmer in the drain section

I have sump already so i can the 20lbs of rock rubble to the new one and have probably close to 70lbs of lr in my DT. I just did not know if the single water level would cause any problems but like grizz said i can just add baffles which did not cross my mind. The point of the switch is because this one is bigger, made of better material, and easier to place and hide equipment.

If i was to add the baffle where id like to place the skimmer, what height should i go for? Also would i need to change the water input to right compartment or would it be ok if left in the middle?

The water level will depend on what skimmer you go with By having the drain in the first chamber with the skimmer you can be sure to get the most out of the skimmer as the flow through the sump will start there. And the level will stay the same.

Back
Top Bottom