Suncoral explosion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Beautiful coral. I did some reading on them today just for kicks. Does yours stay closed up most of the say and only extend like in the picture when you feed it? I really like sun corals and would be willing to spend the time with target feeding if they were open a decent amount but it doesn't quite seem worth it if they will only be open an hour or two a day... or night. I read that they open more at night.

Actually, I feed the same time every night and they open up about the same time. They stay opened up from about 6 pm to around 7 am in the morning (I feed about 6 pm). IMO they are even pretty when they're closed. I will admit that it takes some addiitonal time to properly feed them. I wouild also suggest that if you do commit to the feeding and care of this beastie, that you get an orange one.....I have a black one also and it's not nearly as bright as the yellow.

HTH :)

What do you mean exactly by exploded? Has it grown more heads or just started to grow longer tenticles? orr? I have a small head that im feeding with mysis, i think ill try the 2 liter method soon.

What do you mean exactly by exploded? Has it grown more heads or just started to grow longer tenticles? orr? I have a small head that im feeding with mysis, i think ill try the 2 liter method soon.

Actually, when I purchased the coral, the individual heads had started to pull away from the skeleton. After I had it for a couple of months it really started to take off. I noticed several new babies growing at the base of the polyps. The polyps had grown 'fatter' too.

The 2 liter bottle method works good for me (1) my other fish are pigs and steal the food from the sun coral (2) it allows the coral to also have a mix of mysis and other liquid type foods (ie phyto-feast etc) without it going everywhere.

Good Luck!

Wow thank you so much for the pictures of your sun coral, especially the one that shows how you actually feed it. Seeing it really helps big time.

I have an orange sun coral. I am also a newbie and it was an impulse purchase -- which I have learned the hard way not to do. I have been target feeding and wondering how much it actually gets.

Where do you have it in your tank? I heard they like to be kind of hinden or in a cave like spot. So I am wondering if I have placed mine correctly.

Thanks so much Betsy

Wow thank you so much for the pictures of your sun coral, especially the one that shows how you actually feed it. Seeing it really helps big time.

I have an orange sun coral. I am also a newbie and it was an impulse purchase -- which I have learned the hard way not to do. I have been target feeding and wondering how much it actually gets.

Where do you have it in your tank? I heard they like to be kind of hinden or in a cave like spot. So I am wondering if I have placed mine correctly.

Thanks so much Betsy

No problemo-I have mine on the bottom of the tank in front. It's such a nice coral I want to be able to easily see it. I've had in that spot for 6+ months and not had any problems with it. It makes it easier to place the 'bell' on it for feeding.

Good Luck!

I hope I am not invading this nice thread by posting a picture of mine?

I agree with MsBeanCtr's way of feeding and placement of the coral. I do exactly the same and it works great

Michael
MAXreefer

web.jpg

Wow it's a beautiful sun coral!

How often do you feed them?

I put my sun coral in a spot like you described and she is much happier.

Thank you Betsy

Thanks Betsy,

It was my intention to feed him every day but I am now on a every 2 day schedule for about 3 months now.

I feed a mixture of Phyto Pheast, Kent Zooplex and Reef Chili.

Michael
web.jpg

Back
Top Bottom