Wanted: Sunset hygro

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kama55

Aquarium Advice Activist
Looking for some sunset hygro (hygrophila polysperma sunset). Let me know if anyone has any.

I've got some, it's all mixed in with my regular hygro polysperma though, so I don't know exactly how much. It's been growing like a weed though, so I'm sure there's at least a bunch of it

I usually do flat rate boxes which is $7, but if you are only getting that 1 bunch I can find a small padded envelope or something to send it in. I'd assume it'd be like $4 to ship, +3 for the bunch

watch out. that plant is pretty illegal to ship across states.

Eh fuey, who is going to get you? The FBI? Or the postal clerk? Or better yet Obama tracking all the phone calls lol JK

argh.. dont laugh.. there has been many cases of a pretty fine and police showing up at people's work for getting caught shipping illegal plants.

google it, lol.

Please read the sticky in this section. Sunset hygro is on the federal noxious weed list. Shipping is illegal. Try sourcing some locally.

Haha, not laughing.... Just got a fast giggle. It's serious and a real issue that I have a lot of respect for. Many a lakes have trashed by irresponsible, disposal of non native plants.

Why does this plant trash our lakes though? I understand that it might overconsume the nutrients and kill out other plants, but could the ecosystem still evolve around it by using it as food? How do they know you shipped an illegal plant?

Why does this plant trash our lakes though? I understand that it might overconsume the nutrients and kill out other plants, but could the ecosystem still evolve around it by using it as food? How do they know you shipped an illegal plant?

Introduction of invasives, especially fast growing weeds, disrupts the ecosystem in an area that is likely not adapted to it's presence. Fast growing weeds with no native form of vegetation control is along the lines of an animal being released into an environment with no natural predators. It's possible that nature could deal with it on it's own but the point of the laws is to try to minimize the introduction of these species.

And they typically don't know if you shipped an illegal plant, but if you get caught doing it then there is stiff penalties to be had. A USDA inspector that I spoke to last week mentioned the incorporation of plant sniffing dogs to help mitigate the problem. How or when that goes into full effect, I've no clue.

Either way, because of it being an illegal act, it's not something that the forum condones. Hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom