SunSun canister filter media recommendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

qquake2k

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just received the SunSun HW-402B canister filter I ordered, and I was surprised to find it only came with four white filter pads. I'm assuming they're fine. I figure I need some bio media, and maybe a coarse pad or two. There are four trays. What should I use, and what should I put in which tray? I found this media set on Ebay, what do you think?

Sunsun Canister Filter Media Set | eBay

Last edited by a moderator:
I would not buy that media kit, mine came with it for $1.00 extra and I still did not use it.

In the bottom tray you want your sponges, if you did not get a coarse blue one Coarse Filter Pad Sponge for Sunsun Perfect Grech Super HW 402B Canister | eBay, then two of the finer pads.

Middle tray I would use either seachem matrix or eheim substrate pro.

Top tray you could use seachem purigen or alot of people use chemi-pure. I like the purigen because you can recharge it, and it works great.

You did not mention what type of aquarium this is for or how big it is, this setup would be for fresh water.

Oh sorry, it's for a 46 gallon glass bowfront. It will be freshwater. I've never used Matrix or Substrat Pro. Should I fill the middle tray with it? I've also never used Purigen. Likewise, should I fill the top tray with it? I'm thinking a coarse sponge and two fine sponges in the bottom tray.

Oh sorry, it's for a 46 gallon glass bowfront. It will be freshwater. I've never used Matrix or Substrat Pro. Should I fill the middle tray with it? I've also never used Purigen. Likewise, should I fill the top tray with it? I'm thinking a coarse sponge and two fine sponges in the bottom tray.

Yes bottom tray one coarse than fine pads.

I would fill the middle tray with either one of those, just fill the tray no need to put it in anything else, and rinse it before putting into the filter. I am not sure how much the trays in your filter will hold.

The Purigen comes in a 100ml bag, that is all you need in a 46 gallon aquarium. Rinse the bag and put it in the top tray, it will not fill up the whole tray so you may add something around it like floss, or put a fine pad under it. When it turns dark you can recharge it in bleach and then rinse and soak it in prime before adding back in tank. It does not need to be recharged very often, up to six months. I would probably buy two bags, use on now, when you go to recharge it place the new one in, it takes a day or so to recharge and I do not like opening my canisters more then I have to.

Once you start using the matrix or substrate pro never rinse it in tap water, just fill a bucket with aquarium water and swish the basket in that if you want. Some people do the same with the filter pads, I do not, I wash mine in tap water.

By the way, I would have gotten the next size up filter for a 46 gallon, only because I have done this long enough not to listen to manufactures numbers.

Back
Top Bottom