SUNSUN vs Fluval 406

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dexter020281

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So any one have any luck with SUNSUN canisters? I have a chance to pick up a Fluval 406 NEW for 100$ from a craigslister. How ever the SunSun is about 130-150$ with media and puts out more GPH (I think its 383 fluval vs 523 sun). The filter is going to be used on a 60 gallon breeder tank for red ear sliders. Its confusing cause the SunSun at retail is so much cheaper.

Thanks for the advice!

I've been running 2 sun sun for a little while now. No complaints, they do their job just fine. Only thing worth mentioning would be quality of parts and actually can. While they're functionally fine they're not all that durable, the latches need to be handled with care or else you'll snap them with the quickness. Spray bar does not tolerate boiling water all that well either. Overall, for the money.. can't go wrong.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks but if I could get the Fluval for 100$ should I get it? Since cost is so close that's what I do not know what to do.

I've been running 2 sun sun for a little while now. No complaints, they do their job just fine. Only thing worth mentioning would be quality of parts and actually can. While they're functionally fine they're not all that durable, the latches need to be handled with care or else you'll snap them with the quickness. Spray bar does not tolerate boiling water all that well either. Overall, for the money.. can't go wrong.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I don't have either, but I'll throw in my two cents. Check out part availability on the SunSun. If you can get parts really quickly, it might be a good choice. My LFS carries Fluval parts, so when it comes time to buy a canister I will go with Fluval.

You'll want to check out videos on how both can be disassembled and cleaned. Which one looks easier to you? It really comes down to what you like and think will be best for your setup.

$100 is a screaming deal for a 406, btw.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Rad first off GO BROWNS! I am originally from Cleveland moved to Chicago about 12 years ago..

With that out of the way. I went with the SUN SUN 404b thanks to Brooksters response. I bought it for a red ear turtle tank . 2 days of using it had my tank crystal clear. I was so excited I went back and got another one for the discus and will get another one for my Cichlids. It was 90$ each. The setup was flawless. I am using Pinkyfilters.com, bioballs, and ehiem substraight. I love the built in UV light it has help cut down on the 75 gallon discus tank algae. The cats meow is how freaking quiet it is. I had to check it several times my first week to make sure it was running. I highly recommend this filter. I will post a follow up after a few months of use.

Sunsun works just fine, I have 2 of them. That being said, I would trust the fluval a bit more. They have a more reliable name behind the filters and a longer track record than the 2 years the sunsuns have been available.

Sunsun works just fine, I have 2 of them. That being said, I would trust the fluval a bit more. They have a more reliable name behind the filters and a longer track record than the 2 years the sunsuns have been available.

Agree with this.
Also if you can get a new fluval 406 for $100 go for it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't had the Fluval 406 yet, but I have an FX5. I have had 3 Sun Sun style filters. The Fluval is definitely built better and should last longer. One of my Sun Sun's died after 2 years, my other two were purchased around 4 months ago and they are doing great.

Back
Top Bottom