Superglue as bond for PET bottles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scarf

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi,

I've just used superglue to bond the area between my PET bottle and airline tubing. I'm just wondering, how good of a bond do you think this is?

I've designed a separator bottle (to also act as a bubble counter) such that the airline tubing is inserted at a specific height, and the water line of the separator bottle is slightly above it. Do you think that superglue bond will hold? The hole I made for the airline tubing is tight but not watertight (ie without the bond, water would escape by about a drop per 10 seconds).

Although the water spill damage won't be anything to worry about if it does occur (<50mL approx), I'm curious what thoughts you guys had about the durability of the bond.

FYI, the superglue had 24hrs to set prior to water contact.

Thanks

so long as its air tight.. it should be fine..
Ive used the stuff on filters and such.. worked just fine..
understandable that you would be conserned about the presure, think about it this way.. do you think that superglue is going to break before the airline pops off a fitting from preasure? naaaaa.. you should be good to go

cheers mate. In that case I think I should be fine.

In hindsight I should've made it loop down a bit so the point of entry isn't below the water line but I reckon it should hold enough until I can be bothered drilling and fitting another one.

Below the water line is good. Your first post describes how to make a simple DIY bubble counter/seperator bottle exactly.

Back
Top Bottom