Supplementing my stubborn Betta's diet?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Devilishturtles

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a male betta that I've had about a week now. It's slowly getting used to my feeding habits, coming to the glass, etc.

My problem is that this little guy will eat NOTHING. The only thing he has tried to eat so far, have been regular pellets, but they are too big for him. I have bought Hikari baby pellets, the Bettamin flake food, wardley pellet food (the only thing he will attempt eating), the wal-mart brand (Aquaculture) micro-pellets, and even regular tropical flakes.

If I break the pellets up, he seems to confuse them with the flake food or somehting else, and turns his nose away to them too. So, I guess my Q is, what can I feed him? Will he eat at the cucumber I feed my pleco or anything of the such? Any hints of tips you can give me to get the little guy to eat?

Thanks!

Hi Devilishturtles,
Do you know what your betta ate before you got him? For example, I got mine from a hatchery. They ate live black worms. (ewwww! As much as I love them, I wasn't going to buy that!)

So, you can imagine how mine turned their nose up at the dry food. They didn't eat until day 8, I think. I did get worried, but they will eat when they are hungry enough! Just keep introducing the food that you want them to eat. Even if he doesn't eat for awhile, keep giving the food to him so he gets used to it as food. My bettas like Hikari Betta Gold pellets. I get a little bit of tank water in a plastic cup, and soak the pellets in there for about a minute. (The one betta likes them this way, and the other one is a big pig and doesn't care!) But I do it this way, and they eat it.

Some other things that they love are the Hikari freeze-dried foods -- the bloodworms and daphnia. They go crazy for that stuff. It is in a big container, and I only have 2 bettas, but I don't mind. They like it and it's good for them.

I've seen Hikari frozen food too. You may try the frozen food too with your betta. I think that either the frozen or freeze-dried foods may be more like live food, and they would be more likely to eat that than pellets or flake food. Then after he's at least eating, (and you aren't worried anymore! :wink: ) then he may be more accepting of pellets or flake food, although if you get him to eat pellet, freeze-dried, and frozen foods, I wouldn't bother with flake.

Bettas are carnivorous, so I don't know how much he'll eat the cucumber. Since it would probably lie at the bottom, my guess is that he won't be interested. Floating food seems to get their attention most. I tried to clip some lettuce in my tank once, a few years ago, and it just scared the poor betta! He didn't eat it. Remember to give him peas once a week, though!

So try some of the freeze-dried or frozen foods, and I bet he's eating like a little pig in no time!

Bettas can be greedy but picky eaters. I have 2 in their own gallong tanks and when I first got them they would eat the hikara betta bio gold pellets. They loved the pellets and its what their diet mainly consists of up to now. I recently bought some wardly betta pellets and one of my bettas wont touch them. When I had my betta in a 10 gallon he would sometimes eat the flake food but for the most part bettas are know for turing their nose up at it. Sometimes as a treat I will feed my betta frozen blood worms. THEY LOVE IT! If u are scared that they arent eating try feeding them a few. Just remember that they are really rich and shouldnt be fed them all the time. you can also feed them a bit of cooked peas. Just cook them peal them and cut them up into betta bite sizes. Feeding a pea ever week or so will help clean out his digestive system and keep him healthy. Myabe thats why he isnt eating, becuase he has a blockage. Well anyways, just experiment with different things and give it a week or so. I swear, fish CAN go days without eating... even up to a week. So if hes not eating now dont worry, eventually he will get hungry. Also remember, if a fish is new, it often takes awhile for him to get accostumed to his surroundings. Often they wont eat for the first few days. Its nothing to worry about.

In my experience, bettas always love insects or larva. No matter what they've usually been fed. I feed mine freeze-dried daphnia, but blood worms work great too. I've never been able to feed prepared food to a betta unless they were almost starving

Or you could always use live food; worms or brine shrimp. That will almost certainly get the betta's attention.

Thanks so far guys. I will try soaking the pellets he will actually touch in a cup of water (Thanks for that idea, An-tiasg). I may have to go to the store and buy some frozen or freeze dried foods. I had heard about the peas, so I might have to try that.

As for what he ate before I bought him, I'm not sure. Thanks for the ideas!

I am having the same problem with my little guy. At first he was eating the pellets I bought for him, then nothing. Only freeze-dried blood worms, which I don't want him eating primarily. So I bought Bettamin with little brine shrimps mixed in the flakes, and of course at first all hed eat is the shrimp. I have been just giving him that and he would not eat the flakes for 3 days, and I guess he was pretty hungry and actually ate the flakes last night. (Of course after spitting out about half of what he ate :roll: ) At least he got a few down. I think after they get hungry enough they'll be a little less picky. Good luck with your picky betta!

i feed mine tetras whole bloodworms w/nutrient gel at least 3 times a week and dried brine 2x aweek and then the ol tetramin pellets. they LOVED the blood worms.

Our betta has eaten:

- hikari betta bio-gold pellets
- tropical flake
- sinking algae wafers
- freeze-dried bloodworms

Most of those, mind you, were meant for other fish in the tank...but I guess he's not picky. I'm sure you already know this, Devilishturtles, but just to bring up the point, it always helps to establish some sort of feed routine. We always try and feed at the same time of day, and in the same area of the tank...this way they get used to it and you have a better chance of them eating properly.l

Good luck and keep us posted!

maybe your betta is looking for movement. as a last ditch attempt, pehaps you could try flightless fruit flies- they sell them at my local petco, and they are marketed as betta food... just a thought.

good luck!

I found it! The secret! Tubifex worms. I didn't even think of these things, until I went to stick a block into my tropical tank. I pinched a bit off, the betta went right for it!

How safe is this to feed on a regular basis? I'm imagining not very safe. Gotta be high in nutrients and such... I will try soaking the pellets tonight and see how he takes to the pellets again.

I'm excited! :lol:

I feed my little girls dwarf frog the tubifex worms and the female betta in the tank eats them alot too.
I dont know how safe it would be to feed them to a betta all the time though.

I'm kinda new to Betta fish, I got two last week and both are in gallon tanks..I've been reading your posts about picky eaters and one of mine..large blue..eats well but my half moon is very picky..
I've used pellets and blood worms in both..
How long should I wait until I retrieve the uneaten food? Or should i not? I plan on cleaning my bowls every week... Thanx

I feed my little girls dwarf frog the tubifex worms and the female betta in the tank eats them alot too.
I dont know how safe it would be to feed them to a betta all the time though.

When I fed my dwarf frogs my betta would pick out a clump of worms and tear into it like a shark. I use Tetra Repto Treat Bloodworms (Tetra Repto Treat Bloodworms - Reptile - Sale - PetSmart) for my frogs and my betta, and actually my cories, really like it.

They're a trip!! I put a big round mossball in their bowls until I figure what other plants I might want..someone mentioned the "bubbles" that the males put up..is this just at the top? Do they want leaves for this? Is it a good thing?

I've only ever seen them put the bubble nests at the top of the tank. This makes sense because they have to breath air, the babies would need to also.

I'm so ignorant!! Are the bubbles for eggs?
Someone said when they deposit the bubbles it means they have settled in?
!!!i just noticed my first Betta's ( have had since Sunday) gallon container is suddenly cloudy!!! Do I need to replace the water? Or add something ?I've been removing uneaten food and the rocks still look pretty clean..I have a round marimo moss ball on the bottom..although I just noticed a couple of dissolving baby pellets on the bottom.......

The male betta makes the bubble nest and when the female lays eggs he puts them in the bubbles and takes care of the eggs. If one falls out he puts it back in. I would do a partial water change. I have mine in a one gallon tank and clean his water twice a week. If you have no filter on the tank then you'll have to do more water changes so that you can give him clean water to live in. :)

is the tank cycled? that's pretty much the most common reason it would get cloudy!
do you have a test kit, what are your parameters?
also in a 1 gallon tank you should be doing 60-70% water changes every 3-4 days...

if your tank is uncycled... you will need to be doing 70-80% water changes 2-3 times a day

your betta may not be eating because it might be suffering from ammonia poisoning or suffering from high nitrates if your tank is cloudy its 1 of those 2 thing.. I would do a water change ASAP

Back
Top Bottom