Surface Dwellers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TyAdams2211

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Are there any surface dwelling fish that can go in my 20 gallon tank with 5 tiger barbs and 1 peacock eel. The eel pretty much does not come out all day so he takes up absolutely no swimming space haha he just sits in the sand. Anyways, any fish that stay really high up in the tank that would fit in a 20 gallon? Thanks

Danio tend to live between the middle and the top of the tank. I have Giant Danio (4) with my Tiger Barbs (10) and they don't bother each other. Not sure how well "normal" sized Danio would fare with them as I have no experience of them but I would imagine that they are fast enough to get out of Dodge if they need to.

Jatchet fish are top dwellers that would fit but I do not trust the idea of mixing them with tiger barbs.

I was just thinking hatchetfish. Apparently (and I will bow to a greater authority on this one) the Common and Silver (which are apparently often confused) are a bit more hardy than the marbled. I asked about them at my lfs (who are utterly butterly amazing) and was advised against because the Danios would annoy them, they didn't conta- indicate the Tigers though but again I wouldn't like to say as they are slower moving so....

I think I will just get more tiger barbs!! :lol:

You can try some zebra danios ... I've read they're simply too fast to be concerned about TigerBarbs.

As a Barb fan ... I'll say do another 3 TigerBarbs to give you a nice size shoal.
If you only have the regular ones, consider 3 Green Tiger or 3 Albino TigerBarbs. My Barbs swim through pretty much the entire water column:D.

Back
Top Bottom