Surge protectors and ground fault interrupters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pugwinkle

Aquarium Advice Regular
I was wondering if everyone uses ground fault interrupters and surge protectors with their aquariums?

Also, when I was looking for surger protectors all of them say that they are meant for computers, tv's, vcr's, etc. but are not meant for aquariums. Do you just use this type anyway or is there a special kind I should be purchasing?

Surge protectors will all be fine. The biggest reasons a surge protector says it is for X, Y, or Z is to get better placement in retail stores.

UPS power backups on the other hand may not be suited very well for aquarium use.

A surge protector is used to protect the equipment that is pluged into it. A GCFI (ground fault circuit interuptor) is used to protect the wiring in the wall from a surge generated by the equipment. IMO a GCFI is better for fish tanks, in case water gets where its not supposed to. I am not an electrician, but I think I got it right. :wink:

Most importantly, a GFCI protects YOU and your fish from stray current that could cause shocks or even electrocution.

Here's how it works: Most wall outlets have three wires: hot, neutral, and ground. In a safe complete circuit, the amount of electric current passing through the 'hot' wire is ALWAYS equal to the current passing through the 'neutral' wire. A GFCI operates by conatantly and precisely monitoring this balance of electric current between hot and neutral.

Lets say you have a malfunctioning tank heater or you unplug your filter with dripping wet hands - some stray electric current may pass through your aquarium water or through your body instead of through the neutral wire. A GFCI will shut off the circuit within milliseconds if this happens. Most GFCI outlets must be installed by an electrician becsuse they have certain house wiring requirements, but I've recently seen outlet strips with GFCI capabilities that can be plugged into any grounded (three prong) outlet.

I recommend GFCI outlets for aquarium use, and then I use surge protector strips to plug the components into. Follow QTOFFER's advice, because we had changed several outlets over to GFCI in our old house, and when we sold it the inspection indicated these were not correctly wired (the house was built before 3-prong outlets) so we had to go back and re-do them. Better safe than sorry. Insall them anywhere there is moisture, like the kitchen and bathroom.

Back
Top Bottom