SW/FW forum confusion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ccCapt

SW 20 & Over Club
Any chance the forums for DIY and General Hardware/Equip can be seperated so the SW and FW people each have their own? I'm not 100% sure, but I think they were seperate before. Maybe the DIY isn't as vital since most of the time you can tell which type of system, but I think the Hardware/Equip should definitely be split.
The reason I think this would be good is because if someone has a question about lighting, it can be totally different answers for SW and FW. There is a thread now about test kits and not knowing for sure if the OP was asking about salt or fresh, there are different answers which may be causing some confusion.

Larry

I agree with cccapt. Each has it's own needs and requirements so seperating the two would probably get answers to questions quicker. I know I have offered help in the hardware/equip forum and thought I was talking to someone with a SW tank only to find out it was FW after several additional questions. Great suggestion!

Sounds like segregation to me. Salties at the back of the bus. Lol, just kidding, I think it sounds good

I actually think that it would be a good idea to keep the two together as there is some overlap. While the amount of light that you would need and the type of bulbs that you would use for a DIY fixture would differ between FW and SW, the basics of constructions would be the same. This goes for stands, canopies, and quite a few other things as well.

That is a good point. Maybe asking folks to put SW or FW in the title of their thread would help direct the people with answers to their threads. I agree that a lot of the basics do overlap but there are also a lot of specialized topics for both FW and SW. I do like seeing suggestions being kicked around.

The suggestion was discussed and at this time it is not something that AA is going to pursue. When someone asks a question that can be about either SW or FW, just ask which one they are referring if it is not obvious or posted. If we were to seperate we would have FW, SW, Pond, and General. Just seems like a lot of extra boards when one suffices. We always enjoy suggestiosn by members.

I believe karegg was making a joking reference to segregation, or in this case desegregation.

I don't know about separating Salt or fresh myself, but separating by lighting, filtration, decoration might be useful for finding past threads.

Back
Top Bottom