Sweet Jesus-gravel...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sweetness8t5

Aquarium Advice Activist
SUCKS!!!! Spent about an hour, maybe more, rinsing about 55lbs of gravel!!!!!!!! Me tired. *snoorrrrrreeeee*

Oh wait *before I PASS out* Where can I get driftwood, or is it hardwood? For a FW tank?? Like Big pieces for cheap... anyone know?
Thanks for reading...

lol you think gravel is hard to was? lol try washing sand and tryin not to lose it as you rinse with the hose lol

Driftwood at the LFS is expensive though... like a medium size piece was on sale for either $15-20 (I forget). I want a lot of them, so that's going to get pretty pricey.

And how in the heck do you rinse sand?!!! hahahaha... wow. And I was cussin' thinking I should have gotten sand. *eck*

I rinsed a bag of pool filter sand for three hours once. It turned out awesome, but man was it tiring.

Rinsing a 50 lb bag of pool filter sand took me about an hour. And that included transit time from the driveway to dumping it into the tank. If you break it up into smaller batches it is faster. If you are doing gravel just fill up a strainer and wash it in the sink.

Driftwood is Expensive....wherever you get it. I have had luck with Ebay as well. Look for driftwood that will sink immediately (Malaysian is a good bet) and check dimensions carefully....pictures can be very deceiving!

yeah ebay would be cheapest, but i've had great pieces from Drs Foster/Smith prices aren't to terribly high. If you've got it available walk a local lake or nature trail or stream and snag free stuff

I was thinking about something like that... but the places I'm thinking of going are brackish (or salt)-St.John's River.

That could still work, but you'd want to soak the wood for a good long time to get the salt out. And beach driftwood usually lacks all the cool branchy shapes that we all like for our fishtanks....beaches are too high energy, although the river might be better for those neat delicate pieces.

If you're impatient like me, you'll be happier buying some pieces, at least to get started, and if you find a few nice pieces on the beach you can always add them later after they have been thoroughly de-salted and boiled.

Yep, me=impatient.
I went on ebay and that pieces of driftwood would about the same in the pet store. At least, at the store it has the shapes and colors I want, and I don't have to deal with the whole cleaning process.
Whelp, got my answer-Driftwood pieces are expensive-PERIOD! LoL.

Yes, driftwood is expensive no matter where you buy it. By the time you pay shipping via ebay you could buy it at your lfs and have it in hand to inspect.

Back
Top Bottom