Switch nursery tank to plant tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fdsh5

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Well, I rehomed all the cichlid fry and now it's time to start my plant tank. I wanted to use pool filter sand but the local pool store was closed. I went into my local petco, against my better judgement, and they had some Activ-flora on clearance. Never heard of it but for $13 a bag I figured why not. It's a little messy but should clear up by the morning. Got some more plants coming this week and looking for some ideas on shrimp. What kind/color do you think would look good in there? No fish are going in there for a while and when I do it will probably be something like tetras. Thanks for any advice.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium

Attachments

• image-3592460981.jpg
    image-3592460981.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 71
  • image-2966240211.jpg
    image-2966240211.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 68
I assume we are talking about the pic on the right?

FW shrimp look best on black substrate in my opinion.

That being said, with what you have there, blue pearl neocaridina, blue tiger caridina, or yellow neocaridina would all be cool. I saw an article someone posted the other day as well on a newer breed of neocaridina that is green in color... not widely available yet, but those could be an option. Just remember, if you go with any color of neocaridina, you can only have 1 color... otherwise they interbreed and lose all their coloring (they are palish like ghost shrimp in the wild).

Yes sorry, it is the one on the right. Thanks, I completely forgot about the green strain. I will have to look at all of those. I don't think the cherry shrimp would stick out very well against the red substrate. Thanks again.

Yeah, I agree, RCS wouldnt be the best choice. Yellow, Blue, or Green would look great though. The blue pearl neocaridina are cool, but if you go blue, I would look for the blue tiger caridina... the blue is much darker and vivid, and they grow a little larger too. They won't breed nearly as readily though as the neocaridina species.

I think I'm turning partial to the yellow. Now the hunt is on. I sent a pm to severum mama to see if she has any available. :crossing fingers:

you may pm user fishcrazybenbomb as well... he used to sell yellow shrimp... he may still have them.

Plants came in today. What they are? I can identify the foxtail other than that? Supposed to go tomorrow and pick up my yellow shrimp. Lucky for me another member of the local fish club has some for me. Once the roots grow I can't plant everything. Can't wait

Attachments

• image-3718406198.jpg
    image-3718406198.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 65
  • image-3934752545.jpg
    image-3934752545.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 65
  • image-3913063430.jpg
    image-3913063430.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 51
Back