Swordtail gestation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ursi

Aquarium Advice Freak
Does anyone know how long between a swordtail giving birth takes? Ie my swordtail gave birth 4 weeks ago tomorrow, and is looking very square today, I have isolated her again today and wondered if it's the right time,

image-743837589.jpg

image-4086365140.jpg

image-4034949588.jpg

If anyone can offer me any insight I'd be grateful!

image-883386488.jpg

That's what mine looked like a day before giving birth so I'd give yours max 2 1/2 weeks but based on your photo it looks like 2 weeks away

Mine isn't as translucent as yours, she had her last batch 4 weeks ago tomorrow, can they carry for 6-7 weeks? I thought it was 4?

Usually 4-6 weeks that's how mine had her fry And each time she gave birth to more than the last time and she can have kids for up to 7 months without a male in the tank.

This info is based on my experience with swords
Can you see the fish anus starting to get red and stretching open and shut that's when you know she can give birth in the next day or two

Ooh I never knew that, even if it's always white? She had her last lot during the night so I didn't see, she just looks very square today and has been acting different, she's been only what I can call a display with the male and other female, and then been staying quietly by herself so I was assuming she was ready with it being the 4 week mark tomorrow

Yeah, in the plants, that's why I thought she was ready along with looking squarish, do you think I should just leave her in the main tank for longer? If they are born in there they won't survive and I wanted to try to raise some

I just let mine give birth in the tank because when i put here in a breeder box she aborted and I had to wait 5 more weeks

If you have a small tank that is between 3gallons or more with nothing in it then take some water from your main tank some substrate and some decor and put it in the smaller tank and let her give birth and later just take her out. If you don't have another tank to just put her in then put java moss in your tank and let her give birth naturally and most of the fry will hide in the java moss and later you can find them and put them in the breeder.

Also to ensure that no fish will be hungry enough to eat the fry feed your fish a little bit more than you currently do and stop after you had her give birth and you caught the fry.

I've been struggling to get hold of java moss, no where round here sells it, she's in the main tank and I'll try to get hold of some java moss somehow I might have to order some online, I won't bother with a floating breeder, I do have quite a few real plants but I doubt any fry would be able to hide efficiently as its not very dense. I wish I had another tank, I'm trying to get hold of two smaller ones (ideally want a 20G and 10G) but can't afford new at the moment and I can't find one I want. Never mind, I'll get there in the end :) thanks for your advice.

Back
Top Bottom