Synspilum?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Venturer4life

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi, So I just bought a "Synspilum" cichlid and I am having a bit of a hard time finding info on it. It is still a juvenile, but the guy at my lfs told me that it will grow up to look like this (attached photo). I am having issues finding it's full name because Synspilum seems to be a general name for many different fish, so I keep getting results for a variety of different fish that look similar, but do not have the rainbow coloration that this one supposedly will have. Anyone have any info on these fish such as temperament, diet, ect? Thanks!! (I will post a pic of my actual fish here in a moment)

Attachments

• Unknown.jpeg
    Unknown.jpeg
    10.2 KB · Views: 128
Paratheraps (formerly vieja) synspilium, also known as the redheaded cichlid or Quetzal's cichlid. That is gonna be a near perfect specimen, so not all individuals will look like that

Ya, I figured that he/she would not be that beautiful, but I figured that if he/she was even half that colorful I would be happy! Here is a pic of my juvenile. His coloring might be a bit off (dark maybe) cause I am still acclimating him in the bag.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    235.8 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
Does anyone have anymore info on this fish? I have been searching online for a couple hours and have not come up with much.

Can you get another pic of the fish? It may just be stressed but that does
Not look like a syn to me.

It didn't to me at first either, but google baby synspilium and compare the two, remember that the barring is a stress pattern.

Back
Top Bottom