T5 tubes, what is ho

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Arran walker

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi im just wondering what is considered high output from t5 tubes, I have a jewel 180 tank with juwel high light day 45w and jewel high light nature 45w. Are these ho and are they good for plants? Thanks

ho is a specification for the type of light tube, there is ho and no, which means high and low output, respectively.

the way to tell if the bulbs are good for plants, is to check the light spectrum they emit the light at, for plants you want between 4.500 and 10.000 kelvin. when you get above 10kk, you get algae trouble.

If I recall, HO bulbs run about parallel with watts as length. A 36" bulb will be about 39 watts; etc. I think a 48" fixture will have a 54 watt bulb. Double check if I'm wrong. Check tips of bulb too, it should give specifications of bulb.

The term T# refers to the size of the bulb, with one T being 1/8" if I recall correctly. T5 simply refers to size of the bulb. T5HO use lighting technology the produces much more light than T5NO, albeit at a higher rate of power consumption, hence the designation High Output.

I'm not that familiar with the Jewel line of lighting as they are not as popular stateside as they are across the pond, but I believe that that High lite is Jewel's proprietary line of lighting, and they are similar in output to T5NO.

I just googled the kelvin of my tubes and found that the nature tube has a kelvin of 4100 and the day tube has a kelvin of 9000. So if I swapped both my tubes to the 9000 kelvin would this be better for plant growth?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom