T5NO bulbs in T5HO Fixture

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rhino

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So my fixture is way to strong for my tank and I was wondering if I could use T5NO bulbs in my Current USA Nova Extreme Fixture which currently holds two T5HO bulbs. I am looking to tone down the lighting a bit and since they don't make a kit to hang it with so I can't just lift the fixture up higher then I need to explore other ways. Will the fixture work fine if I do this?

I'm pretty sure the bulbs are different lengths when looking at NO vs HO. If it has a load sensing ballast, it should work... provided the bulbs actually fit. You could just use something to block some light. Or even raise the fixture up some.

I'm pretty sure the bulbs are different lengths when looking at NO vs HO. If it has a load sensing ballast, it should work... provided the bulbs actually fit. You could just use something to block some light. Or even raise the fixture up some.

Still trying to thank of a way to raise the fixture but not getting anything yet...

How about blocking some of the light from entering the tank
Block some of the bulb solid or whole bulb through some tinted material
you could use car tinting film on Perspex then you will be able to calculate what light ire getting as car film is rated
just some ideas
Cheers Nick

How about blocking some of the light from entering the tank
Block some of the bulb solid or whole bulb through some tinted material
you could use car tinting film on Perspex then you will be able to calculate what light ire getting as car film is rated
just some ideas
Cheers Nick

This would be the easiest I will try this.

Haha, I was just googling this as well.

From what I can understand (and have reasearched so far) is that the ballast will drive the T5NO bulbs at about 50% above spec. (according to a fellow and his Kil-a-watt, measure power usage)

Now, this might not translate to 50% greater light - but running T5NO bulbs in a T5HO fixture WILL output more light than a normal T5NO setup.

I imagine your bulb life will be shortened as well, as they are being greatly "over driven"

HTH

Back
Top Bottom