Table for 10 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stroll

Aquarium Advice Newbie
New to the hobby and to the forum, forgive me if this is in the wrong place.

I have my 10 gallon tank set up and ready to go, getting my first fish today. My tank is on a little $50 table, this to be precise: https://www.athome.com/23--natural-wood-metal-table/124224699.html

It seems fine but I've realized I didn't consider weight over time on what is a slim piece of faux wood. The thick piece is not what is all underneath. It is just like a frame; the top painted piece of much thinner. Legs are metal.

Am I going to be okay with this? The last thing I need is 10 gallons of water on my living room floor.

Attachments

• 20190902_122515.jpg
    20190902_122515.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 159
Due to the missing / lack of a bracing bar across the front, I personally would never do a 10G on this.

Maybe a 5G in a place it wouldn't get bumped and cave in from the side.

Rounded estimate of weight - 110 lbs

80 pounds for water

20 -30 pounds for substrate and rock

It IS really cute btw!

Last edited:
Thanks Autumnsky. I expected this kind of reply. Of course I went all out to do everything right and the res phantom tetras and snails are doing great! But I'm gonna worry about this stand non-stop. Any experience moving a tank from one stand to another? I guess I would have to drain it. :(

I am a tank slider..... I would do a 30% or 50% water out -

Move the old tank /stand out - slide out of the place to make room - with help of some one.

set the new stand where you want

put the old stand next to the new stand in front of it

and slide...... lift and "slide" ;) (I slid a half empty a 72G bowfront across ~40 feet across the room (on smooth laminate) by my self very carefully.) And then 2/3 full from one corner to the other 12 feet.... shhhh don't mention this, as when I crash something down I will have fully known better...

Use someone to help you if available.

Thanks again. I'm gonna try the slide this weekend for peace of mind on where my tank sits. I'm already addicted to my fish and snails so I have to make sure they don't end up on my floor along with ten gallons of water. :)

Hold on!

That stand will support the 80 lbs. (+/-) no problem.
The metal work looks like it's at least 1/2" wide, it's probably at minimum 1/8" thick, has 90 degree corners on legs & top frame and it probably has 3/4"thick pine under the tank that spans the framework.
I do metal work, I'm a retired carpenter and I know frame work. You have nothing to worry about. And it IS a very nice looking stand. (y)

Thanks Betta Penny. This is a comforting opinion. My parental units are visiting tomorrow and I bet my dad will think similar. My main concern is how thin the wood piece is that the tank sits on. Everything seems fine for now tho. Thanks again, loving my tank and fish.

Sorry Stroll...

I should have prefaced my advice by saying "In my opinion".
I have to remember that.

I can see by your pic the wood is 3/4" thick and all you need.
I think your Dad will approve - you did good. (y)
I'm very attached to my roommates too.
Ciao Stroll, BP

Just looking at the table and the materials its made of. I personally would trust it 100% with a 10gal tank.

It might sound a bit silly, but what I do for some of my smaller tank tables is stand of the table myself, bounce up and down. If it held my weight (150lbs) plus my downforce, itll hold a 80-95lbs tank easy.

If it makes you feel better, position one of the sides of the tank near the edge so that theres more weight put on the metal frame of the table. Esp a better idea if there is no inner bracing under the middle of the table.

It's made of steel. It can easily support a 10 gallon tank.
And by the pic you posted it looks like it does.

Back
Top Bottom