Taking a dive into a nano reef!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chronos313

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I've decided to get into saltwater once my batch of guppy and platy fry grow some more. I've been going over posts on the forum and googling to get some info.

I have a ten gallon aqueon starter kit that has a hood with just two regular tube bulbs. I've read that I should look into T5's at least 12,000k. I have a aquaclear 20 as my filter and a 35 watt heater. I have a 5 gallon air pump hooked up until I can get another one as I just bought one for my 55 and thought my wife would kill me.

I know I'll have to get at least 15 to 20 pounds of live sand and I think 10-15 pounds live rock. Hopefully someone can correct me there. I'm not sure about corals and im hoping for some suggestions. My daughter wants a clown fish as she's nemo crazy. I've looked at a few others that caught my eye. I know I'll have limited space so I'm wondering how they would do together. I'm also wondering about zoas. I know I'll be using distilled or ro water and marine salt. I'll have to get a saltwater test kit and also I believe a refractometer to measure gravity. Please correct me. If anyone has any suggestions I'd be happy to receive them. Also I'm wondering if the hood I have for the tank will support the lights I require. Thanks in advance

Ok here goes,

To save money forget about the live sand. Just buy regular sand and your live rock will eventually turn the regular sand "alive". Don't skimp on the live rock!! It is the best natural filter in saltwater aquaria and is fundamental to the success of your system.

No, your hood you have will probably not be able to accommodate the lighting you will need. Don't skimp on the lighting especially if your serious about keeping zoas or any other corals. They need good lighting!

Next, do invest in a refractometer. They are much more accurate in determining your salinity levels. In a small 10 gallon system your biggest challenge will be maintaining a stable environment. A lot can go wrong quickly in that small a system so you will need accurate tools.

Everything else you've said seems to be ok. Others on this forum will tell you you can't keep a clownfish in a 10 gallon and for most people they are correct. However, it can be done if you keep a very good eye on water quality. Clownfish in the wild occupy a very small space of the water column (usually only the size of their host anemone) and so keeping a single clownfish in 10 gallons is not out of the question, BUT you will have to go with the smaller percula species and also maintain perfect water chemistry.

Good luck in your system and keep asking questions! Here's a pic of my 10 gallon nano reef!

Attachments

• image-4078218747.jpg
    image-4078218747.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 71
Huffers said:
Ok here goes,

To save money forget about the live sand. Just buy regular sand and your live rock will eventually turn the regular sand "alive". Don't skimp on the live rock!! It is the best natural filter in saltwater aquaria and is fundamental to the success of your system.

No, your hood you have will probably not be able to accommodate the lighting you will need. Don't skimp on the lighting especially if your serious about keeping zoas or any other corals. They need good lighting!

Next, do invest in a refractometer. They are much more accurate in determining your salinity levels. In a small 10 gallon system your biggest challenge will be maintaining a stable environment. A lot can go wrong quickly in that small a system so you will need accurate tools.

Everything else you've said seems to be ok. Others on this forum will tell you you can't keep a clownfish in a 10 gallon and for most people they are correct. However, it can be done if you keep a very good eye on water quality. Clownfish in the wild occupy a very small space of the water column (usually only the size of their host anemone) and so keeping a single clownfish in 10 gallons is not out of the question, BUT you will have to go with the smaller percula species and also maintain perfect water chemistry.

Good luck in your system and keep asking questions! Here's a pic of my 10 gallon nano reef!

+1 Haha you have said It all

Back
Top Bottom