Taking the plunge on BioCube 14 build adventure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My lawnmower changes colors many times a day. Sometimes he's apale white and sometimes very dark. It's really freaky. lol I think it has something to do with blending in at least in my blennies case.

Fish also change colors due to stress, is he doing ok? Any fast breathing or listlessness? He's not near the op gasping for air is he? Anything odd?

carey said:
My lawnmower changes colors many times a day. Sometimes he's apale white and sometimes very dark. It's really freaky. lol I think it has something to do with blending in at least in my blennies case.

Fish also change colors due to stress, is he doing ok? Any fast breathing or listlessness? He's not near the op gasping for air is he? Anything odd?

No, nothing odd. He's just perching on a rock and watching me watching him. I'll check the water to make sure there are no abnormalities there. Maybe he's just getting used to the new home - after all he only arrived yesterday.

True, I forgot how new he is. He might be a tad stressed from the new home, I'm sure he'll be just fine. :-D

Checked the water: all zero, but nitrate which is almost zero - how cool is that?! :p and pH 8.0

Thank you for your opinions, Carey! :)

I've got something else though - as always! Is there anybody who would eat algea? All my snails and the crab don't seem to bother at all! :(
It's nothing too terrible, only some small green branchy looking stuff in one corner. And nobody wants it! I'll soon start eating it myself to get rid of it!!!

P.S. Completely off topic here. My cat just put her head on a plate with a peach remains and fell asleep like that! Here's a pic :D

Yeah. At least there was a paper towel!!! My other cat once just decided to lie down on a plate with cake!!!

1Vampiregirl said:
Yeah. At least there was a paper towel!!! My other cat once just decided to lie down on a plate with cake!!!

He's drunk! ....It sounds as if you have a case of the dreaded ...." closet cat drinkers"

Dary421 said:
He's drunk! ....It sounds as if you have a case of the dreaded ...." closet cat drinkers"

Hmm... She does hide a lot. But where does she get the alcohol?! I don't have any at home! Oh, it's horrifying! And she's so young, it's underage drinking!!!

It's too cool to not tell you guys! It's about my blenny and his color! I saw it! He was swimming and had his normal color, but as soon as he saw me he perched on his rock and changed color right before my eyes! Amazing!!! :D

Being in the sportfishing industry, i can tell you that Actually alot of saltwater fish can pulsate with color changes when they're on the hunt. , excited etc.. Swordfish get a purple neon electric color , marlin neon blue., tunas, groupers etc.., even some of the rockfish, scorpion fish etc can mimic their surroundings to an extent .., so maybe the Blenny can also... I wonder if anyone is currently keeping a cuttlefish in an aquarium.. They are without a doubt the king of pulsating colors. , the octopus is an amazing chameleon when it comes to matching it's surroundings.
It'll be interesting to follow your little guys color changes...while snorkeling in Hawaii I've watched some "jacks" change colors as you stated " right before my eyes"... Yep,...truly amazing!!!!

Last edited:
Dary421 said:
How's the tank and the critters doing VG ?

Hey Dary,
Thanks for asking. Everybody was doing fine - that is before I got trapped in the hospital. The blenny was out more and more. Cuteness! :)
Now my tank is still under the care of people who don't really know what they're doing. But they are following my instructions and tell me that all is still well. That's what I'm hoping for (apart from being able to go home soon!) ;)

At least this will definitely keep me from buying new coral for now lol!!!

You get out of that hospital and take care your critters,.....hope alls well,...just responded to your pm,....hurry home!!! :-(

Dary421 said:
You get out of that hospital and take care your critters,.....hope alls well,...just responded to your pm,....hurry home!!! :-(

carey said:
Get better soon! We have a tank to see! lol

Thanks, guys! May be going home tomorrow!!!

zambono said:
hows that build?

As soon as I'm back on track, will move along! ;)

1Vampiregirl said:
Thanks, guys! May be going home tomorrow!!!

As soon as I'm back on track, will move along! ;)

We all have are fingers crossed,....just get better!!!!!

Dary421 said:
We all have are fingers crossed,....just get better!!!!!

Thank you, Dary! :)

Well, I'm home now. My blenny and clown greeted me swimming around and then the blenny hid inside a little hole he found in the rock.
While I was in the hospital, one of the fans broke and is making this terrible loud noise. :( I contacted Oceanic and they're sending replacements, I hope it won't take too long - I don't have daylight on right now!

Back
Top Bottom