Talk to me about freshwater fish types...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dragonsparks

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi!
So, I'm in the process of setting up my tank, and I want to take the time to learn about the different types of fish before actually getting any.

I have a 90 gallon tank, its got small river rockets as substrate, some large rocks set up as a cave in the corner, and a couple of large plants (fake). I've also got a heater (in case I want tropical fish, and to keep the water temperature more constant), and my filter is a fluval canister filter.

My husband really wants me to get a shark of some kind (this may be a stupid question - but are there freshwater sharks??) but what other types of fish can I get? And what kind of shark? I am sort of leaning towards either African fish (I have a thing for Africa) or a communal tank of some kind with lots of interesting looking fish. Anyway - how many fish can I have? What would be a good number/species to start with? Any recommendations for what to get?

Anyway - please, educate me on your thoughts, opinions, ideas... or recommend certain reading materials or anything to look over.

As a side note - is a 30 gallon tank too big for a betta fish?

Thank you - I very much appreciate this!

Reactions: HN1
Hi. Welcome to AA! :)

Kudos for doing your research first! Check out the stickies and articles for cycling information. Cycling your tank without fish beforehand will save you an immense amount of frustration and money too. There are FW "sharks", but they would be unsuitable for an African setup. There are some very cool African catfish that look sort of shark-like though. How many fish will really depend on which ones you decide to stock, so there isn't really an answer. If you research first and add them to a cycled aquarium gradually, you shouldn't have a problem. Check out www.liveaquaria.com for some ideas on fish that might interest you and your hubby. Make a list and let us know, the folks here can then share their opinions and experiences.

A 30 isn't too big for a betta. As long as there is enough decor to make them feel comfortable. The bettas don't need much water thing is one of many myths and inaccuracies present in the hobby.

Hi!
So, I'm in the process of setting up my tank, and I want to take the time to learn about the different types of fish before actually getting any.

I have a 90 gallon tank, its got small river rockets as substrate, some large rocks set up as a cave in the corner, and a couple of large plants (fake). I've also got a heater (in case I want tropical fish, and to keep the water temperature more constant), and my filter is a fluval canister filter.

- Good start. Check out fishless cycling if you haven't added fish yet.

My husband really wants me to get a shark of some kind (this may be a stupid question - but are there freshwater sharks??)

- There are several types of freshwater "sharks". They're usually part of the catfish family. Some, like the irridescent, columbian (silver), and bala, really don't belong in many aquariums because they get huge. Stay away from common plecos for the same reason. Rainbow sharks or redtails would be good. Check out botia loaches too. People get caught up in the shark name, but there are more exciting fish out there.

If you're on an Africa kick, check out synodontus catfish. There are also African cichlids, which can be really colorful.

How many fish can I have? What would be a good number/species to start with? Any recommendations for what to get?

Anyway - please, educate me on your thoughts, opinions, ideas... or recommend certain reading materials or anything to look over.

- How many fish you can have really depends on the type of fish. Start by cycling your tank, then slowly add fish. Read about the nitrogen cycle in your aquarium. It's what makes aquariums work.

As a side note - is a 30 gallon tank too big for a betta fish?

- With adequate cover, there's no such thing as a tank that's too large for a fish.

Thanks for the responses - these are the types of fish I like - mostly just by look - I'm still compiling more information about the species themselves. However, I would appreciate any additional information that you can give me about what types might be good together, and what types absolutely will not work. Or what types would be better to hold off getting until I have more experience.
Thoughts?

Version:1.0 StartHTML:0000000167 EndHTML:0000003400 StartFragment:0000000454 EndFragment:0000003384

Freshwater Angelfish:

• black veil angel
    • marble veil angel
    • altum angel

African Cichlids

• blue johanni cichlid
  • acei cichlid
  • bumblebee cichlid
  • demasoni cichlid
  • electric yellow cichlid
  • tretocephalus cichlid

Discus

• checkerboard discus
  • red spot green discus
  • red marlboro discus
Catfish

• Synodontis Eupterus catfish

Loach

• Tiger hillstream loach
  • daio botia Loach
  • Clown loach

Rainbow's (need schools of 6 or more)

• boesemani rainbow
  • red irian rainbow

Tetra's

• Neon tetra's

Platy's

• red wag platy
  • hi fin platy
  • topsail platy

Barb's
- tiger barb

Gourami's

• neon blue dwarf gourami
  • flame dwarf gourami
Killifish

• korthausae killifish
  • golden dream panchax

Other

• prehistoric dragon goby
  • african butterfly fish
  • Eel.

just a comment on your 'other' list,
i had a dragon goby, they are amazing fish, once they trust you they will feed out of your hand and let you pet them. but they do require brackish water (not quite fresh not quite marine). and they do get quite large, in tanks i've heard of them getting up to 30 inches, in the wild 50.

the african butterfly fish eats live food...crickets etc. and if i'm not mistaken i believe they also require brackish water.

Freshwater Angelfish:

• black veil angel
    • marble veil angel
    • altum angel
The black or marble veil angels (or many other color & finnage varieties are pretty good "beginner" fish. They do grow larger than most people seem to realize and are aggressive if paired. Easy fish to keep one of. Altums are wild and get HUGE. They need very exacting water conditions and are difficult to keep even for very experienced aquarists.

African Cichlids

• blue johanni cichlid
  • acei cichlid
  • bumblebee cichlid
  • demasoni cichlid
  • electric yellow cichlid
  • tretocephalus cichlid
I'll leave the African detail to others since I am not very experienced with them. The key is that you won't be able to mix these with most others. An african cichlid tank needs to be limited to that for the most part, african cichlids.

Discus

• checkerboard discus
  • red spot green discus
  • red marlboro discus
Great fish, but they do require very clean water and frequent feedings, especially with juvenile fish. Those two requirements tend to present challenges and lead most people to keep them in bare bottom tanks. They can be kept in planted tanks, but often stunt. I would not recommend them as a beginner fish.

Catfish

• Synodontis Eupterus catfish
Cool cat. Can live with a variety of stockings.

Loach

• Tiger hillstream loach
  • daio botia Loach
  • Clown loach
Hillstreams loaches are fast, cool water fish which makes them unsuitable for tropical setups. Many people try and the fish may survive for awhile, but never seems to thrive.

Not sure what daio is.

Clown loaches get very large even though they grow slowly. Best to be avoided for most tanks <100G.

Rainbow's (need schools of 6 or more)

• boesemani rainbow
  • red irian rainbow
Cool fish, very active and aggressive eaters. Check out celebes as well.

Tetra's

• Neon tetra's
Great fish, but can be sensitive from many sources. Cardinals are very similar, but often more hardy. Neons will become snacks for larger fish like angels eventually.

Platy's

• red wag platy
  • hi fin platy
  • topsail platy
Great fish to start off with, just be aware that mixing males & females WILL result in babies. As will other livebearers.

Barb's
- tiger barb

Boisterous, nippy fish. Best kept in groups of 8+ to spread pecking order aggression. Not really "community" fish.

Gourami's

• neon blue dwarf gourami
  • flame dwarf gourami
Same species (colisa lalia) regardless of color variant. Males are just about all that are seen in the hobby and can be prone to early death because of some of the practices used to farm them.

Killifish

• korthausae killifish
  • golden dream panchax

Other

• prehistoric dragon goby
  • african butterfly fish
  • Eel.

Some random thoughts above in blue.

Thank you both for the thoughts - I'm going to have to decide between either a brackish or a tropical tank, I think... :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom