Talking fish - sound recordings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kbr61263

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am doing some academic research on fish sound production. anyone have experience of reef species which produce sond? especially interested in picasso trigger, humbug dascyllus, regal tang, yellow tang, plus clowns and angels. anyone have sound recordings of species? ideas about making recordings. i am going to be trying to record in "the deep" in Hull, and need to be able to distinguish diffrent species sounds. I am thinking of trying to get a directional hydrophone made.
also like to talk to people about when their fish make sounds, asociated behaviour in sound producers and others,in response.

sound files can be sent direct to me at k.p.britton@durham.ac.uk
:)
thanks

kinda on topic. had a guy to a local fish club and had sounds loaches make in the water. it was really neat. hydrophone is a must.

yeah, there has been a reasonable amount of work done n freshwatre fish, and someon deepsea marine, but very little on reef fish. I have the use of a very fancy hydrophone fromthe university, to dip in the 2,500,000 litre tank. quite a big set up really!

Triggers grunt, I think parrotfish might also. I know from personal experience triggers do.....

Just an uneducated suggestion for attempting to TRIGGER a behavior which may generated (aggressive)sound: >>> Recently caught a friend pesturing the fishtank w/a laserlight....(usually reserved for playing with the family cat).Some of the damsels were all over it....the (orange spotted)Goby had a bite or two at it....the clowns both were turning around and trying to smack it away with their tails.Perhaps such aggression would cause a squeel or chirp of some sort usually never heard. "ESPECIALLY w/the clowns.It seemed as if when one saw the light...(invading its space) it was as if it called its mate to arms and they BOTH attacked in tandem.It was intresting ( and admittedly funny as heck) to see the same behavior as the cat towards this little red light...at the time.But no more laserlight.It doesnt seem as tho to stress everybody out onna regular basis could be good.

Midshipman fish in the San Francisco Bay, the male makes a humming noise to attract a mate, it may last up to a hour and it sounds like a electric motor.

Midshipman fish in the San Francisco Bay, the male makes a humming noise to attract a mate, it may last up to a hour and it sounds like a electric motor.

Yeah.midshipman are the ones which occur in the academic research. I am particularly interested in the trigger stuff, anyone wanna try and record me a trigger sound? I have a feeling they may be using it as a warning to intruders , based mainly on their extreme aggression in the wild (got attcaked on a couple of occasions recently. while on holiday, not particularly doing research)

Back
Top Bottom