Tang that lies down

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AlanHall

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi got this tang a few days ago, does any body know if this normal for fish to a rest all the time, He is eating fine just don't know what to do thanks

image-3629227786.jpg

They do that a lot when they're basically stressed out from being moved around, and they feel like they don't have a lot of hiding places. I saw one at my LFS and thought he was dead lol.. Give him some time to get used to the tank and try not to worry too much or make any changes to your tank any time soon... Keep us posted :cool:

What's ur water testing at and what is your livestock? How's his breathing?

They do tend to lay down and try to hide under/between rocks when stressed, but 6 hours straight there seems excessive. Does he come out to eat? Maybe lower the lights so he can adjust a little? What are your amm, nitrites, nitrates, sp gravity, temp?

Came home from work to day my tang has gone . Tried to find him in the rock but can't see him the emerald crab has gone missing too wonder if he is doing his job as a clean up crew . I have a clown , blenny goby shrimp and a few coral all doing well. Hard too understand I've only had the tank running for 6month its a little 16 gal I have a 87gal but might be over my head turning that from tropical to marine .thanks for your help see what happens next .

image-1003020951.jpg

Wait... You had him in a 16 gallon?? Yea, don't do that ever again. Thats what killed him, wayyyyyyy too small of a tank for him 8-( They need about 6' tanks... Shoulda asked you that to begin with! Where did you get him and did they know your tank size??

I know what your saying about size of tank the tang it self was only 1inch in size . The plan was too move everything in the little tank into the big one in the next few month before the tang got to big . I do research and ask at my local fish shop. Thanks for the concern but ime ok

I'm guessing that the small tank had him stressed, which lead to the lying down behavior. Emerald crab probably caught him, since he was down low, and had an expensive dinner.

There are very few fish that will work in a 16g tank. I would hold off on getting anything else until you upgrade to the larger tank you spoke of. If its the 70something gallon you mentioned earlier, that is still about half what a blue tang would need.

Saying you research and then not listening to what you read will lead to problems. I would be suspect to any LFS that told you that it was okay to put a blue tang and clown in a 16g. Even the Blenny should have a 30g. Horrible advice, but they got some money. They profited and you lost a fish and money.

Back
Top Bottom