Tank 2 weeks old - white cloudy water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh bum, didn't realise the picture was so big, sorry...

I would try some activated carbon in a sock and place it in one of those spots.

My tank clouded on Sunday after a water change.. No idea why.

But I added some new carbon to the filter and 2 days later... sparkling clear!

I love the stuff... I know lots of people frown on it.
But it's cheap, effective, and harmless.

I've had issues in the past with cloudiness... and tried not to use carbon.... never again!

Good luck.

I hope you can get it to work for you.

Thanks for all your advice, it'd be interesting to know what others thought of that idea - it sounds like a very handy and straight forward way to clear the tank up. :)

I personally do not run carbon in my tank, and my water has been clear for the last 4 months (since the initial cycling stage).

I don't think it is harmful in anyway. There is some definite benefit to it, especially if you are looking for an extra kick, or to remove medications, etc from the water.

I also don't think that it is necessary under normal conditions either. Also, from what I have heard, it only remains activated for a week or 2 after adding, after which it is worthless, so if you wanted to run it all the time, with the effects that activated carbon supplies, then it may be necessary to change it often, which could get pricey (though not too pricey... you can buy it by the gross for next to nothin).

I personally do not run carbon in my tank, and my water has been clear for the last 4 months (since the initial cycling stage).

I've tried going without it.....but I just seem to have better luck using it.
Maybe I overfeed or I am over stocked.. Heck I don't know.

But I think it is awesome that you can do without it.
I sure as heck can't.. :confused:

It does give the water a nice polished look... IMHO

But it could be that carbon just lets me be lazy! :D

Ok, I've done some water changes (about 25% every 3 days or so) and the water is now crystal clear, looks fantastic.

But my ammonia isn't going away. It started as 1ppm before I started the water changes, and after 4 changes it's still just over 0.5ppm.

Do I just need to keep doing the frequent PWCs and keep being patient? I'd love some more fish (the 5 phantoms are looking lonely in the 125L tank!) but I'm not getting any more until the ammonia clears off.

I'd love some more fish (the 5 phantoms are looking lonely in the 125L tank!) but I'm not getting any more until the ammonia clears off.

Don't get more fish yet! Keep doing the water changes every day.

Your ammonia will eventually drop to zero as your nitrites begin to increase.
Keep doing changes then too.

Eventually your nitrite readings will drop to zero as well and your nitrate readings will increase.

Remember, ammonia and nitrites are highly toxic to fish and will kill them.

Once you have completed your cycle, weekly/biweekly PWC will be fine.
And then you can add fish.. slowly.

My 2 cents.

Good luck.

Patience the order of the day then, thanks for confirming this :)

And once this is all sorted the next fish input will be 5 Neon Tetras, but I'll wait another few weeks before any more.

Back
Top Bottom