Tank Arrangements

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aqua hobbyist

Aquarium Advice Freak
Oils it be a good idea to put an air stone under the filter, where is the best place to put the heater, also, where should I put this big piece of mopani woo in my tank?!

Attachments

• image-3388528511.jpg
    image-3388528511.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 88
It probably isn't the best idea to put an air stone under your filter, but I don't see what it would hurt. I just put my heater in the back of my tanks. That is where most people do. I have a heater in a ten gallon that is diagonal just to avoid burning the leaves of my Lloydiella. But that is pretty much it. Could we see a full tank shot (maybe that is one and your gravel is just huge). Put the wood where ever you want. After all, it is your tank.

Left to right: heater, filter, air pump

Attachments

• image-4196216378.jpg
    image-4196216378.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 104
Was the first photo of the entire tank? If not, could I see one? That way I can help you with where to put the driftwood.

The breeder net will be gone soon, the black fish in the bottom left corner will be too.

Attachments

• image-3659350533.jpg
    image-3659350533.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 83
Does that hood fit 2 lights? If so I would get 2 cfls, it just looks sort of dark, and that would be a lot better for plants. I think that if you left the driftwood where it is and tied some plants on it it would look great. That gravel looks pretty good so it might be hard to grow rooted plants. But if that wasn't a problem, then some dwarf sag and vals might look good (vals in the back, dwarf sag in the front.

Would I need substrate for the Val's and sags, are they the same amount did care and light for my futuure anubius and java moss??? Do they need co2

With two 10 watt cfls they would be fine. But you would probably need a better substrate like small gravel or sand. They shouldn't need CO2. If you notice any algae problems a few weeks after the lighting upgrade you should start dosing some ferts though.

What brand or kind of ferts do you reccomend, brand? Please send me pic of it, will get it if REQUIRED!

Ferts always help but with low light plants they aren't really required. I use seachem root tabs and seachem flourish comprehensive liquid ferts. I also do DIY co2. But I've got other plants.

I use Seachem Flourish (Although it is hard to dose unless you have something that can measure 1 milliliter). You will probably need it. Once you get the new lights, check if more algae is growing. If it is (it usually takes about a week or two to notice anything), start dosing small amounts of ferts every two weeks. After a few more weeks, if there is still more algae, dose the same amount every week. But by that time, you should be good. Algae is a great indicator.

aqua hobbyist said:
What if there was an algae eater?

You shouldn't add a fish just to clean something. Plus they really don't make much of a dent IME. Some can tho, I just don't know which.

Do the plants NEES ferts? If they do, choose the one and only you would buy for your plants ( anubius/ java moss)

aqua hobbyist said:
Do the plants NEES ferts? If they do, choose the one and only you would buy for your plants ( anubius/ java moss), are java ferns planted exactly the same way as anubias and are they the same care as anubias, except different plant?

Solve any algae problems based off of the problem. Algae is natures way of fixing an imbalance. So if you have algae, there is an imbalance. Find out what it is by changing light, ferts, and co2 (you won't need to mess with co2).

Would java fern do well on mopani wood with the current condition my is

It depends on lighting. If you notice algae, add ferts. If not, then don't worry about ferts.

I already said, you don't really need them for those kind of plants unless you see an algae presence from upgrading your lights. I would choose seachem flourish excel or comprehensive.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom