Tank been cycling for about 2+ weeks now, havnet added....?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Civicman86

Aquarium Advice FINatic
OK I have been cycling my tank for at least 2 weeks now. Thing is I take my salinity levels everyday. At first it was really high and I keep adding freshwater to bring it down. I finally got it to 1.024 and 1.023 the following day. The tank evaporates quick (10gallon). So everyday I check the salinity it has gone up 0.001 everyday. I have yet to add a premixed saltwater solution. Is this normal? Seems like I have added ALOT of freshwater.

what size tank and what temp is it running. What type of lights..
What SG/salinity are you looking to get? Most keep there tanks at 1.025 for reefs and between .020-.025 for fowlrs..
The only time you should add new salt water is when you do a water change.
And yes its normal to have your Salinity raise as the water evaporates, salt does not evaporate so its left behind. Just keep up on top offs and you'll be fine.
I have a auto top off so I don't have to worry about salinity swings.
In smaller tanks it does not take much evaporation to get a swing in salinity.

With the sized tank you have you should add replacment fresh water every day to replace the water thats evaporated. The only time you add saltwater to the system is when you physically remove water. This is because when water evaporates the salt is left behind.

You can also try to get a nice fitting glass top that goes under your hood to limit evap.

fishfreek said:
With the sized tank you have you should add replacment fresh water every day to replace the water thats evaporated. The only time you add saltwater to the system is when you physically remove water. This is because when water evaporates the salt is left behind.

Ok cool that makes sense. Is a .001 change daily bad for fish. LIke say I was to keep it to 1.024 and it changed to 25 by the next morning? That seems to be the regular swing

k dub said:
You can also try to get a nice fitting glass top that goes under your hood to limit evap.

I was going to do this but I already have probs with the tank getting hot with my room temps. I dont have my light i will be using. Im just useing a generic florescent light. I will have a satallite dual light.

Adding a glass top is not a good idea... You want gas exchange and evaporation to help with cooling.
Once you get a better light you will probably get more evaporation. .001 swing is not too bad. Thats the problem with small tanks, it takes very little water loss to change the salinity.

Back
Top Bottom