Tank buil?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Deadsea

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok i have a 180g tank and stand built and in the process of buying filters,heaters,ect....I would prefer a sump system but tank is not drilled. Does anyone have any GOOD ideas on do this. I heard its a waste of time if u dont have it drilled with the overflow system if u cant always be watching it if something where to happen.

honestly, I would avoid drilling the tank yourself (unless you know what you are doing).

There are other options available e.g. canister filter + HOB filter
You don't have to have a sump.

Well. Most tanks have tempered glass which will cause them to shatter when drilled, so drilling it is pretty much not an option, unless done by a pro with pro equipment and tons of experience

You could make a sump but with a siphon pulling water down to the filter.

Had my 90 gal drilled @ marine lfs. Think he charged me like 50 to do two holes. Bottom is usually safety glass. Sides ok for drilling usually.

The_Desacrator said:
I;d make pretty **** sure that sure tank can be drilled. If your wrong, thats a petty big investment to be put to waste.
I'd stick with a HOB.

+1 desacrator. If you dont make sure, then your whole tank is gonna crack in half and then you wont have to worry about drilling a tank. Most tanks that can be drilled with say "reef ready or reef capable" so if it dont say that then dont waste money and time drilling it. Just use a siphon with a pump return to make your sump. That's what I'm gonna do

see thats what i mean, i dont wont to drill but i heard the siphon deal is the waste of time if u cant monitor it 27/7 because of some much potential for things to go wronge(power outages,clogging,ect....I planned on the canister approach but would like to have a sump, if i decide to make in a sw tank.I just havent found any good suggestions that will work well if its not drilled. Thanks for the replys.

Deadsea said:
see thats what i mean, i dont wont to drill but i heard the siphon deal is the waste of time if u cant monitor it 27/7 because of some much potential for things to go wronge(power outages,clogging,ect....I planned on the canister approach but would like to have a sump, if i decide to make in a sw tank.I just havent found any good suggestions that will work well if its not drilled. Thanks for the replys.

I have a siphon on my fresh watertank. Its awesome. And you dont have to watch it 24/7

Back
Top Bottom